As I was deciding on a strawberry pie recipe, I knew I wanted something fresh, not too sweet and would taste delicious with vanilla ice cream. So I went with a glazed strawberry pie that only requires the crust to be baked. I absolutely love how it turned out! I can still taste a little bit of the sour hint the strawberries have and it’s just the right amount of sweetness. It’s almost like eating a bowl of fresh fruit, but you have a small amount of sugar and sweet crust. Pair it with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream and you’ll have a perfectly refreshing treat for a hot summer day!
Glazed Strawberry Pie
1 1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
4-5 tablespoons ice water
1. Combine the flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
2. Mix in the butter with your hands. Do not overwork the dough.
3. Add in the vinegar and a tablespoon of ice water at a time. Combine with a rubber spatula, but do not over mix. The dough should be a little lumpy with small pieces of butter. Once it starts to form a ball, place in the fridge for a few hours.
5. Roll the dough out with flour and place over a buttered pie dish.
6. Bake for at least 15-20 minutes, or until edges become golden brown. Let it cool completely.
Strawberry Pie Filling
4 to 5 cups fresh strawberries, tops sliced off and washed
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1-2 teaspoon strawberry jello mix
1. Boil the sugar, water and cornstarch until it reaches a glaze consistency
2. Add in the strawberry jello powder for color and a hint of flavor
3. Let the glaze cool in the fridge
4. In a separate bowl, toss the strawberries in the glaze. Start with half of the glaze first and see how the sweetness is. If you want more you can add more glaze. I think I only used about half of the glaze I made because I didn’t want the pie to be too sweet.
5. Place the strawberries in the pie dish and garnish with blueberries or whipped cream!
Photo Credit: Sugar and Charm