Share On Twitter Share on facebook Share on Pinterest Share on StumbleUpon

Share:

Red Velvet Cheesecake

July 27, 2011 | Sweet Recipes | Comments

Okay, I know this red velvet cheesecake is totally overboard, a caloric craziness and a lot of time in the making, but it tastes OH SO GOOD!!! It consists of an original cheesecake with a buttery graham cracker crust, a moist layer of red velvet cake on top and it’s all coated in a light whipped, cream cheese frosting! This is definitely time consuming, but well worth it when you can bring something like this out to the table for your guests. I’m sure their eyes would light up and their tongues will be red!! Read below for the recipe and how-to : )

Red Velvet Cheesecake
Updated Note:This recipe is VERY good, but extremely time consuming! Please know that you should be using two pans, same sizes so you don’t have to wait for one to cool before cooking the other. The cheesecake takes about 2 hours just to cool, so make the red velvet cake while it’s sitting. Also, everyone’s oven is different… always set the timer for less and then check to see how it’s baking. If it’s done then take it out, I usually end up checking my cakes about three times! Hope this helps!

Cheese Cake Recipe (from the Dorie Greenspan book of Baking

Graham Cracker Crust
1 3/4 cups graham crackers crumbs (you can use a small food processor to make the crumbs even)
3 tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt
1/2 stick melted butter

Add the graham crackers, sugar and salt in a bowl and stir. Add in the melted butter and mix together. In a buttered, round springform pan (this is super important to use) press the crust down in an even layer. Wrap tinfoil around the bottom of the outside pan, bake the crust for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Cheesecake Filling
4 8oz boxes of cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/3 cups heavy cream

1. Turn the oven to 325 degrees and boil some water in a kettle for later
2. Beat cream cheese on medium (about 4 mins) until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides.
3.With the mixer running, add sugar and salt and continue to beat for another 4 mins.
4. Beat in the vanilla and add eggs one at a time, beating full after each addition.
5. Reduce speed to low and add heavy cream
6. Pour batter on top of the crust, leaving a little room at the top for the cheesecake to rise.
7. Place the foil wrapped pan in a larger roasting pan and pour boiling water around the edges, halfway up to the springform pan, kind of like when you’re baking a soufflé.
7. Bake for 1 hour, until the top of the cheesecake is brown. Turn the oven off, prop the door open with a wooden spoon and let the cheesecake sit in there for another hour.
8. Take it out and let it cool at room temperature, then place it in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Red Velvet Cake Recipe
2 cups sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp.
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Red food coloring (enough until desired color)
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, room temp.
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar

1. Cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy
2. Add room temperature eggs in one at a time
3. Add 1/4 cup oil, cocoa powder and food coloring
4. Sift together flour and salt, add to the mixture alternating with the buttermilk
5. Add the baking soda and vinegar together and add to the mixture.
6. In other srpingform pan or one with a removable bottom (same size at the cheesecake pan) add the batter.
7. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Putting Them Together
After the cheesecake is cooled, place it on a cake stand. Set the red velvet cake on top of the cheesecake. Cover it with a cream cheese frosting. I used this basic recipe ; )
Photo Credit: Sugar and Charm

Google Adsense

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

COMMENTS

15 Responses to Red Velvet Cheesecake

• wow – that looks delicious!! i would make a lot of people happy in my life because most everyone i know loves red velvet and looooves cheesecake! yum!!

• Mara says:

oh my gosh this looks SO good!! And so pretty too :) I want some!!

• feelincrafty says:

ohhhh… this looks fantastic! I make a red velvet from scratch and putting it on top of cheescake?? Who knew! sounds wonderful!

• Old Glutton says:

2 of my favorites rolled into one. Had some at at he office and it was delicious. Thank you, Eden!

• MeggyLou says:

Omg I am so making this next!!! Your blog is amazing and I look forward to getting the email of it every day :)
    Ps: for the cream cheese icing if you want it to have a deeper flavor I substitute about half a cup of brown sugar in it. Omg it’s amazing!!! You just have to make sure you beat it so it desolves but so yummy!

• YUM! Red velvet cake is the best!

• b.love says:

so decadent! i just made this for my honey’s 50th. however, the cheesecake took me an hour 45 mins, the red velvet 50 mins, but that part came out a bit dry(should have been 45, i guess.) perhaps you should notate that cooking times may vary, i planned for 3-4 hours, ended up being 7 with cooling time. also, might want to add that red velvet needs to cool an hour before placing atop cheesecake. thankfully, i learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago. i ended up making a chocolate cookie crust from newman’s alphabet cookies. and drizzled my honey’s fave dark chocolate over the top of the finished cake. aside from the dry red velvet, it turned out to be the most delicious and decadent dessert i’ve ever had! i may make it again for his 60th!
    thanks for the recipe!

• peteyscakes says:

hey..does anyone know how would I make this into a recipe for cupcakes? HELP!!

• Anonymous says:

Tried this for Christmas, the red velvet cake took forever to cook through and getting the middle cooked resulted in overcooked sides and top. I think next time I would try 2 9-inch pans and layer it. I ended up just bringing the cheesecake by itself and it was a hit – I got a lot of comments on how amazing the crust was!

• blkenigma888 says:

Hi There!
    I’m on the hunt for a perfect red velvet cake – well, red velvet anything – and have a ‘search party’ going on over at my blog and wanted to invite you to link up this and any other red velvet recipes you have! It ends at the end of the month.
    Hope to see you there.
    Cupcake Apothecary

• Anonymous says:

What size pan did you use for this?

• Anonymous says:

do you like red velvet?

• Emily says:

Hi,
    this cake looks beautiful and I would like to make it for our church luncheon. However I read where a few people talk about the red velvet part being dry. How can I prevent this and also why did you decide to use the spring-form pan on the red velvet too!

• Chrish says:

Hi,
    These sounds like Yummy..!!
    This Christmas Red velvet Cake looks delicious and adorable.
    I love red velvet cheese cake most.I read your recipe really unique and easy to make.
    Thanks For Sharing….

As seen in
Huffington Post Taste Ladies Home Journal HGTV Style at Home Lifetome Moms Babble Project Wedding Littles Apartment Therapy
Custom Wordpress theme by Jeff Roberts Web Design