I was reading the February issue of Martha Stewart and as I flipped to the back of the magazine, I saw these AMAZING cookies! They’re thumbprint cookies rolled in coconut, filled with caramel and topped with sea salt! YUM! They turned out really tasty and I thought they would be a perfect Valentine’s gift wrapped in a heart-shaped box. I bought the letterpress tags and heart boxes from Paper Source. Just put two cookies into each box, punch a hole in the tag and tie it all together with twine! A perfect little treat for Valentine’s Day. You can also add chocolates in the box too ; ) Recipe below…
Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel
Recipe via Martha Stewart
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
2 large eggs lightly beaten
12 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
44 small caramels (I bought a bag of Kraft and only used like 20 caramels!)
6 Tablespoons heavy cream (if you use less caramels, use less heavy cream as well)
Large sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat butter and sugar in a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, then add in the vanilla.
3. Turn the mixer off and gradually add in the flour, mix on low to combine and then repeat.
4. Make 1 1/4 inch balls and dip them into the lightly beaten egg, then roll in coconut.
5. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and make small a indention in the top of each cookie, but still keep the cookie round, it will flatten as it bakes… bake for 9 minutes.
6. Remove the cookies from the oven and re-press the indention. Then bake for another 9 minutes or until coconut is golden brown.
7. Place caramels and heavy cream in a sauce pan over low heat. Stir constantly until the caramels are melted.
9. With a small spoon, add a small amount into the indentions of the cookies.
10. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!
6. Press an indention into each cookie