I thought I’d share a few before and after photos of what we’ve done so far with our new home. We still have a lot to do, but we’ve made a pretty good dent within the past four weeks! Here’s a list of what we’ve accomplished with the help of our amazing contractor, Jerry Siefert, and some very skilled people!
* Smoothed out every single wall, ceiling, nook and cranny. There was a thick, textured plaster on the walls and now they’re all super smooth!!
* Ripped out the entire kitchen… gone!
* Took down the ceiling in the kitchen and re-drywalled it since it was falling down! We also added more insulation because it was missing.
* Leveled the floors (we had a major leveling issue) and laid real Oak wood floors throughout the house.
* Restored the original Oak floors in two rooms, they were hidden under old carpet!
* Moved two doorways and made them taller… much better.
* Removed the paneling above the fireplace and drywalled it.
* Added recessed lighting in the kitchen.
* Added a skylight in the dining room area to add some extra sunlight.
* Removed two giant beams (one in the dining room and one in the master), ugly beams not nice ones!
* Removed the tile in the guest bathroom, fixtures, etc.
* Replaced the toilets with much prettier ones ; )
* Painted the entire interior!
We’re moving in this weekend regardless of the fact that we won’t have a kitchen yet. I will have a fridge to store milk and snacks for Romeo, but we’ll be eating out a lot (all cheap places!). We still have a long list of things that need to be completed. Some of more of wants and will have to wait. But we’ll be replacing doors, switch plates and all of our lighting fixtures and ceiling fans. Bathtubs need to be replaced. Larger windows in the master bedroom and dining room, crown molding, build a floor to ceiling shelf with a moveable ladder (my dream!), change the front door, paint the outside and completely redo the backyard. Oh and that gorgeous Oak tree I love so much is costing us already. The people who owned the house before didn’t take good care of it so it needs a little TLC from us and a nice trim that’s going to cost mmm… a few thousand!! I have a feeling this will never end, but you know what? I am so in love with our new home and it’s been amazing making it ours. We feel extremely lucky to have found a place in a perfect neighborhood!