Honey Toast with Earl Grey Ice Cream. Hello. Talk about a statement dessert! Can you imagine bringing a few of these out at your party for guests to dive into?! Honey Toast is a Japanese bread you can find at most local Japanese markets. It has simple ingredients in it, but it’s incredibly soft in the middle and subtly sweet in flavor. It’s absolutely delicious! In Japan, they make a dessert with it by cutting cubes in the center, buttering it, drizzling on a generous amount of honey, toasting the bread and then adding a few large scoops of ice cream. It can also be topped with whipped cream and fruit if you like. It’s honestly incredible!! We created our own Honey Toast version with the BEST and creamiest Earl Grey ice cream recipe to put on top and then garnished it with whipped cream, honey and a sprig of mint. SO GOOD. And yes you can cheat and buy your favorite ice cream too!
Honey Toast with Earl Grey Ice Cream
1. Pick up a loaf of honey bread at a Japanese market. Cut the loaf of bread in half.
2. Cut a square grid into the bread, try not to go all the way to the bottom. Also, leave the squares in the bread. This is just to create some separation for the butter and honey to melt into the center.
3. Butter the top of the bread and drizzle on a generous amount of honey.
4. Broil in the oven for just a few minutes or until the top of the bread is nice and toasty.
5. Remove from the oven and top with giant scoops of Earl Grey ice cream (recipe below).
6. Drizzle with more honey, top with whipped cream and a sprig of mint!
Creamiest Earl Grey Ice Cream Recipe (adapted from Jeni’s ice cream base)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cream cheese
2/3 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
6 Earl Grey tea bags
In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons whole milk and the cornstarch to make a slurry (a thin paste).
In another bowl, whip the room temperature cream cheese and salt together until creamy with no bumps.
Pour the heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup and remaining milk into a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat stirring constantly. Boil for 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the cornstarch and milk slurry.
Add in the 6 bags of Earl Grey tea to steep in the mixture. Return to a boil over medium heat (with the tea in the mix) and stir until mixture thickens.
Remove the tea bags, pour into a heat-proof bowl and let it cool in the freezer for about 20 minutes. You just want to get the temperature down before you add it into an ice cream machine. You can do an ice bath, but I think this is easier and it works.
Once the mixture is cooled, pour it into your ice cream machine and follow the ice cream maker directions for freezing.
Pour into a container to freeze. Add to your Honey Toast creation and enjoy!!