Happy Monday! Hope you all had a lovely weekend full of exciting fall and Halloween activities! If you’ve read Sugar and Charm for awhile, you know I’m a fan of making entertaining fun and easy. I love small details that make a dinner party charming. This cake definitely falls into the “charming” and “easy” categories. The recipe for this yummy flourless chocolate cake has only 4 ingredients! How’s that for easy? To create a festive design, I chose a skull for Halloween. Just use a stencil and then dust powdered sugar on top using a small strainer- sifter. So if you’re hosting a little Halloween get together, this is a sweet way to bring some spooky details to the table!
Chocolate Flourless Cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and melt over a double boiler (or microwave stirring each time, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into the buttered pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center, 30 minutes. Do not over bake or it will become dry. You want to under baker this cake for a moist texture. Cool completely before removing sides of pan. Place a stencil lightly on top of the cake and dust with powdered sugar. Serve at room temperature, with whipped cream or a chocolate ganache sauce!