This Earl Grey Tea Cocktail is a refreshing alcoholic drink made with gin, lavender, lemon, and earl grey tea. Easy to make and easy to drink, this libation will become your new favorite thing!
It must be the caffeine in the tea, or maybe it’s the combination of the gin, tea and honey… whatever it is, this Earl Grey tea cocktail is an energy booster!
I’ll sip on one when Zan comes home from work and I’m like an Energizer bunny until
It has a very mild flavor, like tea with a dash of lemon, a touch of lavender and then lightly sweetened with honey simple syrup.
If you’re looking for a “healthy” cocktail, this recipe is great! It’s incredibly refreshing and easy to make because you can do the prep work beforehand.
It also makes a great early evening cocktail… if you want to stay up! Sometimes I need the push to get me through my midnight work schedule!
How to make an Earl Grey Cocktail – Step by Step
In just a few quick minutes, you can make this delicious cocktail!
First, brew the earl grey tea – make extra so you can keep some in the fridge ready to make more!
Make a batch of honey simple syrup, by heating honey in water until it has dissolved and cool in the fridge.
Pop all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain into a glass. Garnish the drink with a sprig of lavender.
A tea cocktail with gin
Tea is such a great ingredient to use in a cocktail due to it’s complex flavors, and I decided to mix it with gin to let the floral flavors of earl grey sing.
The lemon and lavender work wonderfully well with earl grey creating a refreshing libation.
What alcohol goes with tea?
For this recipe, I chose gin as the alcoholic element as the botanicals in it work really well with the bergamot in earl grey tea. Other types of tea work better with different types of alcohol.
If you are a keen mixologist, why not experiment and mix and match with the below teas and spirits!
Spirits that mix well with teas
Different teas to make cocktails with
- Earl Grey
- Black Tea
- Green Tea
- Fruit herbal teas
A cocktail for a tea party
If you are planning on hosting a tea party, this cocktail is a great option to serve after the tea is finished.
I love themes that run through parties, and what better way to finish a tea party than with a tea cocktail?!
Top tips for making a tea cocktail
- Make sure the tea and the honey syrup is at room temperature, or cooler, before mixing it.
- Keep shaking the cocktail shaker until it has turned cold.
- Always use a good quality spirit.
More tea cocktails to try!
If you have tried this earl grey cocktail recipe, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Earl Grey Tea Cocktail
- 6 ounces Cold Earl Grey tea
- 1¼ ounces good quality gin
- 1¼ ounces honey simple syrup , (5 cups water, 1 cup honey in saucepan. Simmer until honey is dissolved)
- 1/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 sprigs lavender
- Brew 4 cups Earl Grey tea. This will give you enough to make a few cocktails. Store in the refrigerator to keep cold.
- Make a batch of honey simple syrup to store in the fridge as well. 5 cups water, 1 cup honey.
- Bring to a simmer until honey has dissolved.
- Then cool in the fridge.
- Add all of the above ingredients into a cocktail shaker, with 2 sprigs lavender and ice.
- Shake several times. Then strain the cocktail into a glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with lavender.