I’ve been wanting to make a pie in these 4 ounce mason jars I have laying around. With Easter only a few weeks away, I thought a Lemon Honey Meringue Pie would be perfect for the holiday! They look absolutely adorable in the individual jars! I told Zan I think more restaurants should serve them like this, don’t you? Another good thing about these is that the recipe is actually fairly easy, especially the honey graham cracker crust! It’s my favorite crust by far and so buttery and delicious. The custard has the perfect lemon flavor with a slight tang. And the meringue is sweetened with an equal amount of sugar and honey. Really, you could make any type of pie in a mason jar! The presentation is what takes the cake…or pie ; ) Do you have a favorite or traditional Easter dessert?
Lemon-Honey Meringue Pies
Honey Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten, save whites for meringue
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients together (using your hands is best!) and press 1/4 cup (or more if you have extra!) of the crust into each 4 oz. jar. Cook the crust for 15 minutes or until brown. Let the crust cool all the way before adding the filling.
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, whisk together the corn starch, sugar, flour, and water. Add in the lemon juice, zest and beaten egg yolks.
- Bring to a boil for at least 15 minutes until thick, whisking often. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Strain the mixture into a bowl and scoop it into each individual mason jar.
- With the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until peaks form. Add in the honey and continue to beat. Then add in the sugar and beat until peaks are stiff. Spoon the meringue over the lemon custard, making a whipped texture. Bake the pies for 10-15 minutes at 325 degrees until the top of the meringue is golden brown. Let the pie sit before serving. Mmmmm : )