Snickerdoodles are not only a holiday cookie or the cookie you grew up making in Home Ec!! These classic cookies can be fully enjoyed all throughout the year and they’re even better when you add ice cream between them for no-fuss Snickerdoodle ice cream sandwiches! I figured, with Father’s Day coming up this weekend and Snickerdoodles being my Pop’s favorite cookie, I would share this recipe I’ve been using for years! It’s SO easy and they come out chewy and delicious! For Snickerdoodle ice cream sandwich heaven, let them cool, take 2 cookies and just add a layer of cinnamon or vanilla ice cream in between. Can’t go wrong with these for an easy Father’s Day dessert!!
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- cinnamon and sugar to roll the cookies in
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In an electric mixer, combine the butter, shortening and sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and continue to beat.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low until incorporated.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop out even amount of dough. I made these bigger, but you can do regular size as well.
- Spread a mixture of cinnamon and sugar onto a plate and roll the cookie dough ball into the mixture until it’s covered.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined pan and bake 6-12 cookies at a time.
- Only bake for about 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over-bake these cookies, bring them out more doughy as they will harden and continue to cook. If you over-bake them they will be dry.
- Let them cool for a few minutes on the pan and transport them to a cooling rack.
- When they’re completely cool, add in a scoop of your favorite ice cream to create your Snickerdoodle ice cream sandwiches!