I’ve eaten a lot of brownies in my life (is that such a bad thing?) and I can honestly say these salted caramel brownies are absolutely amazing! I adapted the recipe from the famous Baked brownie, so it’s no wonder they’re delicious! These are super rich, like can’t-drink-without-milk rich, and very moist. I like them because they have a savory chocolate taste and are not overly sweet. I gave them to several friends during Romeo’s play-dates and everyone agreed that the brownies are exceptionally good. The caramel poured on top before they’re baked gives them a gooey texture and adding just a touch of coarse sea salt is a nice addition… if you’re a salted caramel freak like me! Read more for the recipe…
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounces chocolate (70-75% dark) chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup caramel sauce you can make your own or buy it already made
- pinch of coarse sea salt to sprinkle on top of each brownie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, and cocoa powder and whisk lightly.
- In a double boiler (or heatproof bowadd the butter, chocolate and espresso powder and place over a pot of simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate and butter have melted and are smooth. With the bowl still over the simmering water, turn off the heat and add in the sugars. Whisk until they are combined. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined, then add the other two eggs and vanilla and whisk. Do not overbeat brownie mixture.
- In small portions, fold the flour into the chocolate mixture until just a small amount of flour is visible.
- Pour batter into a 9x9x3 well-greased pan and then pour the caramel sauce over the top of the brownie batter. Smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Do NOT over bake these brownies. Take them out before they’re fully cooked. Sprinkle with a small amount of coarse sea salt while they’re hot. Cut into small squares and ENJOY!!