Banana breakfast sandwiches – yum! As expressed in a previous post, I’m telling you again that I really love Tyler Florence’s baby food book, Start Fresh, because that’s exactly where I got this recipe!! The book is not just about purees… it also features recipes for the whole family too : ) There was no stopping me from making these banana breakfast sandwiches this past Sunday. They are totally delicious and pretty darn filling to say the least. The only thing I did differently in the recipe was use actual slices from a french loaf (instead of sliced bread) and maple syrup rather than honey. Anyway, if you’re looking for a different way to serve french toast, this is a great recipe!
Banana Breakfast Sandwiches
- 2 Bananas cut in half lengthwise
- 4 slices french bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- maple syrup
- confectioner’s sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Soak the french bread in the mixture for a few minutes or until the bread is saturated. Melt the butter in a large pan and place two pieces of bread down until slightly browned.
- Turn over and then arrange bananas over the top.
- Add the other slice of bread and then flip the sandwiches.
- Use a heavy pan or a lid to press the sandwiches down to make them more like a panini. Brown each side of the sandwich.
- When both sides are golden, remove and add more butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.