Tis' the season for a fluffy gingerbread cake! This is a small, easy gingerbread cake recipe flavored with molasses, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. It's incredibly flavorful and super moist. The cake is filled with ginger flavor and easy to make. It's the perfect cake to make and top with our gingerbread buttercream and just as tasty by itself as a snacking cake. We actually prefer it plain as the flavor is so good.
Servings: 9 people
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 12 tbsp, room temp.
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then prepare an 8×8 or 9×9 cake pan, either size will work. Grease the bottom and sides with butter and cut a slice of parchment paper to lay inside.
Using an electric mixer, beat brown sugar and eggs for at least 3 minutes.
Add in buttermilk, molasses, melted butter and vanilla extract.
Beat for 5 minutes until all of the ingredients are combined and have a fluffier texture. Scape down the bottom and sides of the bowl.
Combine the flour, ground spices, baking soda and baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients.
Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and using a spatula, fold it all together.
Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Let the cake cool and then add a fluffy layer of gingerbread frosting over the top OR leave it without and it's just as good!
- Make sure the butter is room temperature and soft before whipping.
- If the frosting curdles, add more powdered sugar and continue to whip on high.
- Whip on high until the frosting is light and fluffy. You can’t over whip frosting!
- Always give it a taste and see if it needs more spices or sugar.
- Double the recipe to make a layered cake.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 363mg | Potassium: 429mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 556IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 2mg