In all honesty, I was actually going to make these delicious homemade pumpkin filled donut holes with a dragonfruit cream filling, but after a few failed attempts, I resorted to the most popular flavor of the season, pumpkin! Everything happens for a reason because these puffy and perfect little donut holes are SO good I can’t even imagine them without the cream cheese, pumpkin filling! I think homemade donuts can seem daunting to make, but I assure you, the dough for these is really easy and there is no deep fryer required. You’ll be so proud of them when you’re finished and satisfied when you bite into a warm homemade donut hole, stuffed with a cream cheese pumpkin filling! And if pie is more of your thing, try our Ultimate Pumpkin Pie for the best pie recipe. Enjoy!
Homemade Pumpkin Filled Donut Holes makes 18-20 donuts
1 cup warm milk (microwave for 1.5 minutes)
1 package fast acting yeast
3 egg yolks
4 tablespoons butter, room temp
3 cups flour
3 tablespoons super fine sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a stand alone mixer, add in the warm milk and the yeast. Whisk until combined and then let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add in the egg yolk, flour, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla and mix with the dough attachment.
3. Mix for 4 minutes until everything is combined.
4. Remove dough and place on a floured surface. Knead into one large ball.
5. Spray a medium bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl.
6. Cover with a dark towel and keep somewhere warm for the dough to rise.
7. Wait 1 hour for the dough to double in size… you can make the filling while you’re waiting for this.
8. When the dough has risen, punch it in the middle (kinda of fun in a weird way!) and then make 1 ounce balls.
9. Place the balls on parchment paper so they don’t stick too much.
10. Fill a medium pot halfway with canola oil and bring it to 350 degrees. Keep a thermometer in there so you can gauge the temperature, keeping it at 350 degrees.
11. Drop a few dough balls in the hot oil and cook on each side until golden brown… about 35 seconds on each side.
12. Remove and place in a bowl full of sugar (or a sugar and cinnamon mixture!) to roll and coat the donut.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp (very important!)
1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Beat all of the ingredients on high in a stand alone mixer until smooth.
Refrigerate until donuts are finished.
Add the cream into a piping bag with a round fitted tip.
Poke a hole in each donut and fill with cream.