You need to try these easy and delicious Butter-less Chocolate Chip Cookies! Baked with oil instead of butter, these cookies come out perfect every time!
Butter-less chocolate chip cookies, what else can I say? I conducted an experiment last night… I tried making chocolate chip cookies without using butter. Why? Because most of the time when I use all butter in my cookie recipe, they turn out flat and cake-like. I thought about all the different fats I could use in a recipe; butter, crisco or oil… so I opted to give oil a try. To my amazement, the cookies baked very nicely! They taste delicious and they’re not even close to cakey or dry. Yay for a delicious butter-less chocolate chip cookie recipe!!
How to make Butter-less Chocolate Chip Cookies – Step by Step
In a few simple steps, you will have some delicious butter-less chocolate chip cookies to eat!
First, combine the dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, baking powder and salt).
In another bowl cream together the oil and sugars and add the eggs, one at a time along with the vanilla and almond extract.
Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, and fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon onto a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 8 or 9 minutes.
Cookies with oil instead of butter
Making cookies with oil instead of butter is definitely something you need to try if you haven’t already! The oil gives the cookies a cake like crumb texture and because of the high fat content they stay wonderfully moist. It’s also a great way to enjoy cookies if you have intolerances to diary.
What can I use instead of butter in cookies?
For this recipe, I used vegetable oil to replace the fat from butter – it has a neutral flavor, and there’s always some hanging around in most kitchens! Oils have a higher content than butter, so it is often not a straight swap, you only need to use about 3/4 of the amount called for. If you are into experimenting in the kitchen, here are some other substitutes you can make (note I only used vegetable oil in my recipe and haven’t tried these variations!)
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- soy margarine
Perfect Butter-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
I was so happy with how these delicious butter-free cookies turned out, and with no added effort! It’s so easy to make the dough, and the process is really straight forward so you can whip up a batch in no time at all! I can’t wait to hear what you think of this recipe!
Top tips for making Butter-less Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Line your baking sheet with parchment or use a silicone mat so your cookies don’t stick to the pan.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix them well.
- Space the cookies far enough apart on the baking sheet so they don’t spread into each other when they cook.
- Use an ice cream scooper to portion out the dough on the baking sheet for evenly baked cookies.
- Let the cookies cool on a rack before serving them.
More cookie recipes for you to try!
Fruitcake Cookies with Candied Fruit and Nuts by The Spruce Eats
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe by Sugar Spun Run
If you have tried this butter-less chocolate chip cookie recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below! You can also follow me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER,INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!
Butter-less Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together oil, brown sugar and white sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then add in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Blend in dry ingredients and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes and then let them cool on the pan before moving them to a wire rack.