These chocolate cherry cookies are made with a soft chocolate cookie, baked with a maraschino cherry inside and topped with a delicious chocolate fudge. They are absolutely delicious!
I usually make these cookies around the holidays, but as the years go on I’m learning that they’re actually a terrific year-round chocolate cookie! By far they are my most requested cookie to make because of their fudgy-chocolately-cherry deliciousness.
Table of Contents
These are made in Italy and are the original maraschino cherries. Honestly, there is no comparison to the bright red ones. They’re rich in taste and texture and aren’t filled with artificial flavors or dyes.
They have the perfect crunch sound to them when you take a bite and yummy cherry juice spills out. Real maraschino cherries are the secret ingredient to making these cookies stand out from the rest.
Once bite and you get the taste of the chocolate fudge and the real, juicy cherry inside. These are perfect year round, but especially good in a holiday cookie box!
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Follow our recipe below for the full details on how to make the best chocolate cherry cookies. You’ll need a jar of maraschino cherries to make this recipe.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
Let us know if you make this recipe by leaving a review below!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 jar of Luxardo maraschino cherries, undrained
- 1/2 cup sweetened-condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 4 tablespoons of the reserved cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar and baking soda, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat in egg and vanilla and gradually add in the flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart. Press down in the center of each ball with your thumb and add a cherry in the middle.
- For the frosting, add the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips into a saucepan. When the chocolate is melted, add the cherry juice. Stir constantly so the milk and chocolate won’t burn.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the chocolate sauce on top of the cherry and spread to cover the cherry only. Bake for 7-9 minutes.