These chocolate cherry cookies are made with a soft chocolate cookie, baked with a maraschino cherry inside and topped with a delicious chocolate fudge. They are absolutely delicious!
I usually make these cookies around the holidays, but as the years go on I’m learning that they’re actually a terrific year-round chocolate cookie! By far they are my most requested cookie to make because of their fudgy-chocolately-cherry deliciousness.
We used the real maraschino cherries… not the artificial, red-dyed ones sold at the grocery store, but the REAL ones to make them even better!
These are made in Italy and are the original maraschino cherries. Honestly, there is no comparison to the bright red ones. They’re rich in taste and texture and aren’t filled with artificial flavors or dyes.
They have the perfect crunch sound to them when you take a bite and yummy cherry juice spills out. Real maraschino cherries are the secret ingredient to making these cookies stand out from the rest.
Once bite and you get the taste of the chocolate fudge and the real, juicy cherry inside. These are perfect year round, but especially good in a holiday cookie box!
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Follow our recipe below for the full details on how to make the best chocolate cherry cookies. You’ll need a jar of maraschino cherries to make this recipe.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
The Perfect Chewy Snickerdoodle Recipe
Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookies
Lemon and Thyme Shortbread Cookies
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Let us know if you make this recipe by leaving a review below!
Follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST for more delicious recipes, cocktails, desserts and parties!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 jar of Luxardo maraschino cherries, undrained
- 1/2 cup sweetened-condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 4 tablespoons of the reserved cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar and baking soda, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat in egg and vanilla and gradually add in the flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart. Press down in the center of each ball with your thumb and add a cherry in the middle.
- For the frosting, add the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips into a saucepan. When the chocolate is melted, add the cherry juice. Stir constantly so the milk and chocolate won’t burn.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the chocolate sauce on top of the cherry and spread to cover the cherry only. Bake for 7-9 minutes.
20 thoughts on “My Favorite Chocolate Cherry Cookies”
Turned out very well! Next time I’ll double the cookie dough or halve the topping (lots left over). But they were a big hit!
Yummy. It is looks tasty. I like to make it after my salary got.
Yes this is look and taste also great. I made it today. Because am in the home today. My kids are like for this. They ate lot of cookies and they said make more cookies in next day. Thank you friend.
Wow yummy chocolate flavor recipe. I want to make it and eat as soon as. Because try to made it at today.
I am definitely trying this recipe this weekend. I think it is be a tasty food. That is collection of chocolate and cherry. Wow yummy.
I also like to try this recipe. I think my kids are interesting this. Because they are very like to eat chocolate favor foods.
Usually I make cookies for kids. But this is quite new for me. Thanks for the recipe. I’ll try this in the weekend. My little ones will love this.
I made cookies every festival. Especially for Christmas. I and my kids are love chocolate cherry cookies very much.
It is one of the favorite foods of us.
I feel the juiciness of cherry and the quick crunch of the cookie in my mouth and hoping to bake this on my weekends for tea time.
These were so good!
Looks delicious! I love the combination of chocolate and cherries so I reckon this would taste great.
Yes!! So good! You will have to try them out 🙂 Thanks for the comment!
Fabulous, Eden!!! These look so good. Can’t wait to try them with the real deal 🙂
Thanks Rebecca!! XO
Never knew the red Maraschino cherries we grew up with aren’t “the real thing”! Would love to try the ones from Italy…and in your decadent-looking cookies!
Haha!! I know right?? It’s like discovering gold! Never again will I use those!
Yum! Definitely don’t confine these to only the holidays! They look delicious.
My mom makes these for Christmas every year. Definitely one of my favorites!
Tell her to use the real cherries and you will be blown away!!