There is nothing better than a homemade, warm chocolate chip cookie and after testing recipes for years this is hands down our favorite!
I’ve tried so many homemade chocolate chip cookies in my life and always wind up a little disappointed with the end result. That is until I worked tirelessly to perfect the best chocolate chip cookie recipe! These cookies are gooey, delicious and everyone who tried them said they were the best, so I’m sticking with it!
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
There are 3 key components to making these chocolate chip cookies…
- Super fine ground rolled oats
- Refrigerating the dough overnight (is a MUST)
- Do not over-baking them! This is so important for making a gooey, soft cookie. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes.
You can’t tell that the oats are even in the dough! You have to use a food processor to turn the oats into a powder. I also experimented with the dough by freezing it, using right away and refrigerating over night. The best result was refrigerating it overnight. It made a world of difference over the frozen dough or even just using it right away.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
We use standard cookie ingredients, but this recipe has rolled oat flour in it as well. There’s something about the rolled oats that add a perfect moistness to the cookies.
- Butter, softened
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- All-purpose flour
- Rolled oats, ground into a fine powder – this is not standard but makes the cookie SO good!
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Sea salt to garnish
Make sure you add course sea salt on the top after the cookies bake. It’s SO good!!
How the Chocolate Chip Cookie was Invented
Since I majored in Home Economics in college, here’s a little history on how chocolate chip cookies were invented! The cookie was invented in 1937 by a woman named Ruth Graves Wakefield in Massachusetts. She ran the Toll House Restaurant. The cookie was invented when she added chopped semisweet chocolate to her favorite Butter Drop Do cookies, a recipe from the Colonial time! When the cookies baked, the chocolate chunks kept their shape… and the rest is history!
More Cookie Recipes You’ll love!
- Butterless Chocolate Chip Cookies – These are fantastic too!
- Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies – Best shortbread cookies!
- Italian Rainbow Cookies
- Simple Peanut Butter Cookies
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups rolled oats ground into a fine powder
- 2½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 pinch sea salt to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure 2½ cups oats then add them to a food processor and grind the rolled oats into a fine powder. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream together butter, white and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and continue to mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and ground oats.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough overnight.
- Using a cookie scooper, make golf sized balls and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 -10 minutes. Do not overbake! Take them out more doughy and let them sit. If you over bake you won’t get the same gooey, soft cookie.