These are the best, chewy ginger cookies made with molasses, ginger syrup, and spices topped with honey and ginger chips!
We all know and love gingerbread and gingersnaps, but have you ever had a chewy ginger cookie? They’re our favorite! The texture is chewy and soft and the cookie has a perfect buttery, ginger flavor.
The secret ingredient in these cookies is the ginger syrup. Similar to what we use in our very gingery Moscow mules, this recipe uses a sweetened ginger syrup in the cookie batter with molasses, making them cookies extra flavorful and chewy!
The cookies are topped with raw honey and a few ginger chips. The ginger chips are totally optional, however, they add a spicy kick to the cookie.
Another option for topping these cookies is to roll the cookie dough ball in granulated sugar before baking. That will also add a little sweetness to the cookie and give it a sparkle.
Supplies for Making Ginger Cookies
- Baking Sheet
- Cookie Scooper
- Cooling Rack
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Ginger Syrup – I keep this on hand since I like to use it in cocktails and for baking.
- Ginger Chips
You can see the chewy texture here. They’re truly the best ginger cookies!!
Tips for Making Ginger Cookies
- Preheat the oven and bake on the middle rack.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Use a cookie scooper to get cookies that are relatively the same size.
- Always bake on parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Do not underbake the cookies.
- If drizzling honey, wait until the cookies have cooled.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love!
Let us know if you make these cookies by leaving a comment and review below!
Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup ginger syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In an electric mixer beat the butter until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add in the ginger syrup and molasses and continue to beat on medium.
- Add in the egg and beat, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients including flour, spices, salt, and baking soda.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Mix only until the ingredients are combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour. You can actually refrigerate this dough overnight if you need it.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop balls of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. Don't put more than 12 cookies on a sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.