Learn how to make a classic Moscow Mule with our three ingredient recipe. Also, sharing tips on making different versions and ways to spruce it up!
We’ve shared several versions of the Moscow mule and boy are they delicious! However, this recipe is all about the classic, basic, 3-ingredient Moscow mule that is served in a shiny, cold copper mug.
This cocktail is made with vodka, ginger beer and fresh lime juice. It’s served over ice in a classic copper mug that keeps is super chilly and perfect for spring and summer sipping.
How to Make a Moscow Mule
A Moscow mule should be very gingery and refreshing. Use as much ginger in the ingredients as possible. For example, use ginger vodka (you can quickly make your own), a good quality ginger beer and add a dash of ginger syrup to the drink for the ultimate flavor.
There are 3 traditional ingredients in a Moscow mule:
- Ginger Beer – The main ingredient in a Moscow mule. It’s spicy, carbonated and refreshing.
- Lime Juice – Fresh squeezed lime juice gives the cocktail a citrus tartness.
- Ginger Vodka – Regular if you don’t have ginger vodka.
- Ice – This cocktail requires ice to the top! So lot’s of ice is needed.
- Ginger Syrup – Gives an even stronger ginger flavor without it being super sweet. We prefer it with ginger syrup.
Add vodka and lime juice into a copper mug. If you’re adding ginger syrup, add that too.
Top the mug with ice.
Then pour the ginger beer over the top.
Stir to mix he ingredients and chill the cocktail. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves if you have them.
How to Make Ginger Vodka
Ginger vodka is super simple to make and gives the drink even more of a delicious ginger flavor. Simple chop about 3 tablespoons fresh ginger and add about 3 cups vodka and fresh ginger into a jar with a lid.
Let the ginger infuse the vodka for 1-10 days. You can store this in the refrigerator.
Then, strain the ginger and use this vodka for your Moscow mules!
The Best Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules
We’ve had plenty of Moscow mules and these are the 5 brands we use over and over again.
- Fever Tree
- Fentimans Ginger Beer
- Crabbies Original Ginger Beer
- Reeds Ginger Beer
The Best Vodka for Moscow Mules
Ginger vodka is the best vodka to use. There are a few brands that make and sell it, but it’s probably even easier to make it yourself. However, if you use want to use regular vodka here are a few of our top recommendations. You can also infuse any of these with fresh ginger.
- Tito’s Vodka
- King Street
- Belvedere Vodka – Makes a ginger zest vodka too.
- Prairie Organic Vodka – They also make an organic apple, pear ginger vodka that would be great in a Moscow mule.
Moscow Mule Mugs – The Best Copper Mugs
There are a plethora of copper mugs online. You can buy solid copper, nickel-lined or stainless steel mugs with a cooper finish.
Moscow Mule Variations
- Irish Mule – Swap vodka for Irish whiskey.
- Mexican Mule – Swap vodka for tequila.
- Kentucky Mule – Swap vodka for bourbon.
- Jamaican Mule – Swap vodka for spiced rum.
- Southern Mule – Swap vodka for Southern Comfort.
- London Mule – Swap vodka for gin.
- Aussie Mule – Use Bundaberg ginger beer.
Add Fruit – Muddle blueberries or raspberries into the bottom of the copper mug before adding in the rest of the ingredients.
Extra Ginger – We love our mules to be very gingery! Add in 1/2 ounce spicy ginger syrup to make it even better and more flavorful.
Add Juice – Give the cocktail a splash of juice like cranberry or pineapple to create the ultimate flavor combinations.
Extra Spice – Slice a little jalapeño pepper for some extra heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does a Moscow Mule have to be in a copper cup?
There are several reasons for this. First, copper is a thermal conductor that keeps drinks either cold or hot. When filled with ice the copper mug keeps the Moscow mule super chilly and refreshing with each sip.
Personally, I believe the copper (or nickel) gives the drink a slight flavor. They keep the cocktail extra fizzy and the cold metals add the to the gingery flavor. It enhances the flavor the the chill of the drink.
Truly, a Moscow mule MUST be served in a copper mug. It doesn’t even taste the same in a glass!
Is there alcohol in ginger beer?
Regardless of the name, most ginger beers do not contain alcohol. The only one that we use that does contain alcohol is Crabbie’s Original Ginger Beer and gives the cocktail an extra kick.
More Moscow Mule Recipes You’ll Love!
Let us know if you make this cocktail by leaving a comment and review below! We’d love to know your thoughts!
Moscow Mule Recipe
- 2 ounces vodka, ginger vodka prefered
- 1/2 ounce lime juice , fresh squeezed
- 3 ounces ginger beer
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup
- lime wedge
- mint leaves
- Add vodka and lime juice into a copper mug. If you’re adding ginger syrup, add that too.
- Top the mug with ice.
- Then pour the ginger beer over the top.
- Stir to mix he ingredients and chill the cocktail. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves if you have them.