You all know how much we love our Moscow Mules here at Sugar and Charm and this refreshing Tokyo Mule Recipe is no exception! A fun twist on the classic mule, this recipe is made with saké, one of our Japanese alcoholic beverages.
We wanted to switch things up a bit with this Mule recipe by adding in ingredients that compliment each other and creating unique flavors, like sake, cucumber, ginger syrup, lime juice and of course vodka. So we came up with the best Tokyo Mule Recipe.
This Tokyo Mule is so refreshing, delicious and has all the flavors to become another original classic. It’s one of our favorite Moscow Mule recipes we’ve made and it feels like you’re relaxing in a spa when drinking this!
How to Make a Tokyo Mule
Table of Contents
- Vodka – Ue any good quality vodka you like.
- Sake – Unfiltered sake works best for this. You can find this at most liquor stores.
- Spicy Ginger Syrup – Simple syrup is easy to make. Follow our simple syrup guide to make a ginger syrup or use a store-bought ginger syrup.
- Sparkling Water – Club soda or sparkling water.
- Cucumber Juice – You can just this in a juicer, blend in a blender, and then strain through a sieve.
- Lime Juice – Fresh squeezed.
What is Sake?
Saké is a Japanese alcoholic beverage made by fermenting rice. It’s often served in sushi restaurants and comes in different variations from filtered and unfiltered.
Add fresh lime zest over the top for a pop of color and more lime flavor.
Candied ginger is always a nice garnish for Moscow Mules.
Edible flowers are pretty on cocktails.
Lime wheel or wedge adds color to a cocktial.
The Best Vodka for Moscow Mules
For this recipe, we recommend using a Japanese vodka such as Haku.
However, if you use want to use regular vodka here are a few of our top recommendations. You can also infuse any of these with fresh ginger.
- Tito’s Vodka
- King Street
- Belvedere Vodka – Makes a ginger zest vodka too.
- Prairie Organic Vodka – They also make an organic apple, pear ginger vodka that would be great in a Moscow mule.
I have a collection of copper mugs because we make and drink so many Moscow Mules around here! It’s one of my favorite cocktails! Here are a few favorite copper mugs:
More fun Moscow Mule Variations
Here are more fun variations from around the world!
- Irish Mule – Swap vodka for Irish whiskey.
- Mexican Mule – Swap vodka for tequila.
- Kentucky Mule – Swap vodka for bourbon.
- Jamaican Mule – Swap vodka for spiced rum.
- Southern Mule – Swap vodka for Southern Comfort.
- London Mule – Swap vodka for gin.
- Aussie Mule – Use Bundaberg ginger beer.
More Moscow Mule Recipes You’ll Love!
If you love a gingery cocktail as much as we do, try more of our mule recipes!
If you make this Tokyo Mule, let us know in the comments below! Love to hear how much you enjoyed it!
Tokyo Mule Recipe
- 1.5 ounces Smirnoff vodka
- 1 ounce unfiltered sake
- 3/4 ounce spicy ginger syrup
- 4 ounces sparkling water
- 1/2 cucumber, juiced
- 1/2 lime freshly squeezed juice
- Add all of the ingredients into a copper mug. Use a squeezer to get juice out of the cucumber and lime. Top with ice and stir. Enjoy!!