Agua Fresca is a refreshing drink made from fruit, water
In LA, when the weather is warm during spring and summer, agua frescas are served at farmers’ markets, street fairs and flea markets. It’s a great way to cool down!
How to Make Agua Fresca
Agua fresca, Spanish for “cool water” or “freshwater,” it’s a mix of fruit, flowers or herbs, sugar, and water creating a refreshing and tasteful drink for a warm day!
It’s made by blending together chunks of fruit with sugar and water until its liquid. You can strain it through a sieve to remove the pulp or you can leave it! We left the pulp in our recipes below.
- Roughly chop the fruit and add the ingredients (except the water) into the blender. My blender could only take half of the ingredients at a time, so I split it up.
- Pour the mixture into the containers, then add the water and ice. Each recipe makes 6 quarts.
- If you want a smoother agua fresca, strain the blended fruit through a sieve before adding it to the barrel with water and ice.
I love them for parties and entertaining because they’re colorful, taste delicious and you can be creative when brainstorming unique flavor combos.
Where did Agua Fresca originate?
Agua Fresca originated in Mexico and is popular in Central America. It’s popular in California as well.
4 Delicious Agua Fresca Recipes and Flavor Combinations
Agua fresca can be made with different types of fruit. For fun, you can create your own flavor combinations.
Juicy melons are always a great base, then add in some berries and even herbs! Here are a few of our favorites!
- Peach & Lavender Agua Fresca Recipe
- Mango & Pineapple Agua Fresca Recipe
- Watermelon, Cucumber & Lime Agua Fresca Recipe
- Guava & Coconut Agua Fresca Recipe
Agua Fresca Bar for a Party!
Agua Fresca Container
This is a great drink to serve at a party! Make a few different, large batch recipes and serve it in a classic Aguas Fresca containers.
Place cups and ladles in each container on the bar. Have a platter of fresh fruit and berries out to garnish each refreshing cup of agua fresca.
Where is agua fresca popular?
It’s popular in Mexico and throughout Central America. It’s also very popular in Los Angeles and areas in Texas too.
More Drink Recipes You’ll Love!
Please leave a review and a comment below if you make on of our agua fresca recipes!
Mango & Pineapple Agua Fresca Recipe
- 3 mangoes
- 2 pineapples (save 1/4 for chunks)
- 1 mango for chunks
- 1 cup sugar (or your preferred sweetener)
- 9 cups water
Peach & Lavender Agua Fresca Recipe
- 12 peaches
- 1/2 cup lavender (fresh or dried)
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 cups water
Watermelon, Cucumber & Lime Agua Fresca Recipe
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 watermelon (save 1/4 for chunks and garnish)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 cups water
Guava & Coconut Agua Fresca Recipe
- 2 21 oz cans guava
- 4 13.5 oz cans coconut milk
- 16 cups water
- Roughly chop the fruit and add the ingredients (except the water) into the blender. My blender could only take half of the ingredients at a time, so I split it up. Pour the mixture into the containers, then add the water and ice. Each recipe makes 6 quarts.