An Italian soda is a classic, refreshing drink that’s easy to make with just 3 ingredients! We’re sharing all the details on how to make an Italian soda recipe and two of our favorite Italian soda flavors!
Growing up, this was one of my favorite summer treats. My mom and I would always stop by a little coffee shack called Coffee Heaven on our road trips to Oregon. I remember ordering the blueberry Italian soda in the summer instead of ice cream because they were so refreshing.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of making your own syrup, you can use syrup from the store. Something like Torani would work well.
Now let’s make some delicious drinks!
How To Make Italian Sodas
- Syrup – Any flavor of syrup will work. We used strawberry and blueberry homemade syrup for this recipe. See how to make your own Italian soda syrup below.
- Cream – Half and half, heavy cream or whipping cream all work well.
- Sparkling Water – Club soda works or if you have a soda maker that works really well too.
Syrup – Either make a seasonal homemade syrup like blueberry or strawberry or purchase syrup at the store.
Fill a tall glass with ice and pour in the syrup.
Add the sparkling water over the top.
Next, pour in the cream and then give it a stir.
Garnish with fresh berries.
Homemade Italian Soda Syrup
Homemade Italian soda syrup is very similar to a simple syrup. You can make any flavor you want using sugar, whatever and fresh seasonal fruit or spices. It’s pretty easy to make too!
I store them in these inexpensive glass bottles and they work perfectly!
- Granulated Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Berries – We used fresh strawberries and blueberries.
To make the homemade syrup add 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup berries (your choice) into a sauce pan.
On medium heat, allow the sugar to to dissolve into the water. Add in the berries and continue to simmer for at least 10 minutes until the berries are soft.
Remove from the heat and let the syrup sit for another 5 minutes. Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve – keep the juice and discard the berries.
Let the mixture cool before using. It will stay fresh for a few days in the fridge.
Tips For This Italian Soda Recipe
- Let the simple syrup cool before mixing in.
- Use the freshest fruit available.
- Use a generous amount of ice.
- Garnish with berries.
Italian Soda Flavors
The flavors are endless when making an Italian soda with cream! You can mix flavors together to create your own delicious concoction. Here are our some of our favorite flavors.
- Cranberry – Would be great with our cranberry simple syrup and for a holiday party.
Non Dairy Italian Soda Recipe
To make this drink non-dairy use coconut cream or a non-dairy heavy cream alternative to replace the cream.
An Italian soda is a soft drink made from carbonated water and simple syrup, usually flavored.
Flavors can be fruit (e.g. cherry, blueberry) or modeled after the flavors of desserts, spices, or other beverages (e.g. amaretto, chai, chocolate). Some vendors add cream to the drink as well.
The soda is a mixture of cream, sparkling water and whatever flavor syrup you want to use. If you’ve had a cream popsicle, it’s similar to that. It’s lightly sweetened with a creamy flavor and carbonation from the sparkling water.
Check Out These Other Recipes
More Drinks Recipes You’ll Love
Refreshing Honeydew Lemonade Recipe
The Best Peach Lemonade Recipe
4 Delicious Agua Fresca Recipes and Bar
Let us know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and review below!
- 2 ounces syrup, homemade blueberry or strawberry syrup
- 3 ounces club soda, any sparkling water
- 1 ounce cream, heavy cream or half and half
- Fill a glass with ice. Pour 1/4 part syrup over the ice. Add in the club soda. Pour in a small amount of cream and stir.