Brookies are the best of both worlds – cookies and brownies combined into one delicious dessert! This easy brookies recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re serving a crowd or just want to indulge in sweet treats, these brookies will hit the spot!
A warm, gooey chocolate brownie baked with a classic chocolate chip cookie! Truly the ultimate treat!
Brookies are the latest dessert craze and for good reason! This recipe combines a brownie and a cookie, two classic desserts that everyone loves. The fudgy brownie mix combined with the chocolate chip cookie dough is irresistible. Once you try this easy recipe, you will always make brookies.
When creating this brookies recipe, I wanted to make it as easy as possible. Making homemade brownies from scratch and then chocolate chip cookie dough from scratch was going to take too long and leave way too many dishes to clean.
So I decided the best option is to use a delicious, fudgy boxed brownie mix, because you can’t go wrong with boxed brownies, and make the most delicious cookie dough from scratch, cutting the time in half but not sacrificing flavor!
This worked out so incredibly well, these turned out to be one of my favorite desserts of all time. I was hooked by one bite of these delicious, gooey chocolate brownies mixed with cookie dough! I’m all about easy entertaining and this is the best way to make brookies!
This is the ultimate dessert to show off to your friends or bake for a dinner party because it’s unique, fun, and indulgently delicious.
How to This Make Easy Homemade Brookies Recipe
Table of Contents
Supplies You’ll Need
- Large Bowl and Medium Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- 9×9 Metal Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
Boxed Brownies – Choose a brownie mix that has chocolate chips. This adds so much to the flavor of the brookies. You will also need the ingredients on the back of the mix. This is usually oil, eggs, and water.
All-Purpose Flour – Use white flour when making the cookies. I like to use King Arthur for my recipes.
Baking Soda – This helps the cookie dough rise.
Dark Brown Sugar and White Sugar – These sugars sweeten the cookie dough.
Unsalted Butter – You need this to be at room temperature so it will cream together correctly with the sugar.
Egg – The egg binds everything together in the cookie dough. Use organic eggs when possible.
Vanilla Extract – This is my favorite vanilla extract to use in recipes. It adds so much flavor!
Chocolate Chips – You need chocolate chips for the cookie dough. Use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
3 Steps to Making Brookies
Here are the basic, 3 steps to making these yummy brookies! The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Brownie Mix – Follow the brown mix’s directions and ingredients on the back to make the batter. Pour the brownie mixture into a prepared baking pan.
Cookie Dough – Make the cookie dough and place scoops of dough into the brownie batter.
Bake – These will bake for about 40 minutes until the cookies are golden brown and the brownies have puffed up and are baked.
Pro Tips for Making Easy Brookies
- These are best served warm, so I recommend preparing them, placing the baking dish in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, and then baking them 1 hour before you want to serve them.
- Read the recipe through before beginning. This will help you understand the ingredients and steps involved.
- You can use a dark chocolate brownie mix if you prefer. I like a brownie mix with chocolate chips.
- The cookie dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Let the brookies cool completely before cutting into them. This will help them hold together better.
- If the cookies start to get too brown, but the brownies aren’t fully done, then cover them and continue baking.
- Line the pan with a lot of butter or cooking spray as well as parchment paper.
- Serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- You’ll have leftover cookie dough, so make some classic chocolate chip cookies with it or freeze it for another time.
- If you’re up for the challenge you can make my homemade brownie recipe to use instead of a mix.
How to Know When They’re Done
It can be tricky to know when these are done baking. The brownies should be set and the cookies should be golden brown. If you insert a toothpick into the center, it should come out almost with a few moist crumbs.
If the toothpick comes out clean, they are overcooked and will be dry. You want them to be just undercooked so they are fudgy and moist.
Brownies will normally puff up, especially against the side of the pan. So notice when they are puffy and have a glossy texture. The chocolate chip cookies with be a very golden brown.
How to Store Brookies
Brookies are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to 5 days. If you want to freeze them, place them in a freezer-safe container and they will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Thaw the brookies overnight in the fridge before serving.
Whether you are looking for a unique dessert to bring to a potluck or want an easy recipe to make for a party, these brookies are perfect! They are easy to make and so incredibly delicious. Everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
Best Brownie Pan to Use
I like to use a 9×9 tin pan for this recipe. You can also use an 8×8 or 9×13 pan. Remember, if you use a larger pan, the brookies will be thinner and will bake up quicker. If you use a smaller pan, it will be thicker and will take longer to bake.
I also recommend using a metal pan when making brownies. They will bake evenly, give a chewy and crispier edge and just come out better. If you don’t have an aluminum pan, then use a glass or ceramic baking dish.
Although I don’t have one, I am very intrigued by this brownie pan!
When to Serve The Best Brookies
Brookie bars are perfect to serve any time of the year. They are great for the holidays or birthday parties or just an easy after-dinner treat. Here are some occasions you can serve this dessert:
- Baby Shower or Bridal Shower
Frequently Asked Questions
A brookie is a brownie and cookie hybrid dessert. It’s the perfect mix of fudgy, chocolatey brownies with delicious, chewy cookie dough. The cookie dough is placed in the brownie mix and they are baked together, creating the most delicious brownie ever!
Brookies are made from brownie batter and homemade chocolate chip cookie dough. They are baked together to create a fudgy, gooey delicious chocolate chip cookie brownie.
Brookies will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store them in an airtight container.
More Brownie Recipes You’ll Love
If you love these brookies, here are more of the most delicious desserts you can make!
If you love chocolate as much as we do, try our homemade chocolate cake too!
Let us know if you make this amazing and indulgent brookies recipe! These brookies are going to be a hit at your next gathering!
Leave a comment and review below and let me know your thoughts!
Easy Brookies Recipe
- 1 Package boxed brownies, Use one with chocolate chips in the batter.
- Follow the ingredients on the back of the brownie box., This is normally eggs, oil and water
Chocolate Chips Cookies
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Follow the directions and ingredients on the back of the brownie box.
- Prepare a 9×9 metal baking pan with butter and parchment paper.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mixture.
- Scrape the bottom of the bowl and mix until the ingredients are combined.
- You'll only need about 1/2 to 3/4 of the cookie dough so you can store the rest, freeze it or make cookies with it.
- Scoop the cookie dough and place it directly onto the brownie mix. Do at least 12 giant scoops of dough to cover the top.
- Bake the brookie for 40 to 45 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.
- The brownies will be puffy on the edges and in the middle and the cookies will be golden brown.
- Remove and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.