This is truly the best lemon loaf cake! Made with fresh rosemary and lemons, this cake is SUPER moist, buttery, and full of flavor. Topped with a lemon, sour cream glaze. This recipe will be your new favorite loaf cake!
If you’ve tried our coconut loaf cake and loved it, then you will absolutely love every bite of our rosemary lemon loaf cake. It has the exact same moistness with a crispy, buttery top and fluffy inside!
The rosemary adds a freshness to it and compliments the lemon nicely. It’s perfect to serve spring or winter, as the rosemary adds a nice herby flavor to it. Also great to bake and gift to friends and for simple gatherings.
We love this loaf cake because it’s made with sour cream, oil and butter making it incredibly moist and full of lemon flavor. It’s truly one of the best we’ve ever had and are so happy to share it with you!
How to Make a Rosemary Lemon Loaf Cake
Loaf Pan – This is our favorite loaf pan. It’s the only one you’ll ever need!
Electric Mixer – Hand held or stand alone.
- Fresh Rosemary
- Lemon Juice + Lemon Zest
- Vegetable Oil
- Sour Cream
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
Mix the butter (room temperature) and sugar on medium speed in an electric mixer.
Add in the sour cream and eggs and beat.
Next, add the lemon juice, oil, zest, and extract in a liquid measuring cup and alternate with the flour and baking powder mix.
Mix on low until incorporated.
Cut a piece of parchment paper the same length as the loaf pan and leave extra room to go over the sides. This will make for easy removal!
Butter the bottom and sides of the loaf pan and place in the parchment paper.
Pour the batter in the loaf pan 1/2 of the way full then bake it for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
The top will be golden brown and the center will come out clean (moist crumbs is okay) with a toothpick.
Removing the Loaf Cake
When the loaf cake is done, serve it from the pan, with the glaze poured over the top OR remove the loaf cake from the pan, serve it on a small platter and pour the glaze over it.
The easiest way to remove the loaf cake is by pulling up on the two sides of the parchment paper.
Delicious Lemon Glaze
The glaze is an essential part of this recipe! It’s beyond easy to make and only 4 ingredients!
- Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients with a fork until it becomes a thick glaze texture. If you need a little extra water, add it. Next, pour it over the lemon loaf cake and enjoy it!
Full recipe below.
How can you tell if a cake is done without a toothpick?
Insert the toothpick into the center of the cake and if the toothpick comes out clean the cake is done. If it comes out with batter, the cake needs more time to cook.
If you take the loaf out too early it will fall in the center. However, we personally do like to take it out about a minute before it is fully done cooking so it’s not overcooked.
Additionally, you don’t have to have a toothpick to test the center. A clean sharp knife will work as well.
A loaf pan is a rectangular pan that is used for baking bread and loaves. If you like to bake, it’s a good idea to invest in one good loaf pan that you will have forever.
Our favorite is Emile Henry’s ceramic pan. It’s made from Burgundian clay, which absorbs, distributes, and retains heat evenly, so bread and casseroles bake and brown to perfection.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
Let us know if you make this rosemary lemon loaf cake by leaving a comment and rating below! We love to hear your thoughts!
Rosemary Lemon Loaf Cake
Rosemary Lemon Loaf Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, organic
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, organic
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp rosemary , fresh, minced. Find this in the herb section of the grocery store.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp water
Rosemary Lemon Loaf Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the butter (room temperature) and sugar on medium speed in an electric mixer.
- Add in the sour cream and eggs and beat.
- While that is beating add the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and lighting whisk.
- Next, add the lemon juice, oil, rosemary, zest, and extract in a liquid measuring cup and alternate with the flour mixture.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper the same length as the loaf pan and leave extra room to go over the sides.
- Butter the bottom and sides of the loaf pan and place in the parchment paper.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan 1/2 of the way full then bake it for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
- Add the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk with a fork until combined and the texture turns into a glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the rosemary lemon loaf cake and garnish with lemons and fresh rosemary.