The best recipe for blueberry muffins! This recipe makes the most tender, moist and buttery homemade blueberry muffins ever! They’re bakery style and made with butter, oil and buttermilk to make them so incredibly moist. These blueberry streusel muffins will become your favorite muffins!
Our family has made these blueberry muffins from scratch countless times and they always come out perfect. They are so moist and the streusel topping adds the perfect sweetness to them. They are truly the best blueberry muffins!
I absolutely love these muffins and have had my fair share of them in my lifetime. After trying, testing and alternating several recipes we have come up with a winner. It’s by far my favorite easy blueberry muffin recipe ever.
What makes this recipe so good is the moistness and tenderness. The perfect amount of juicy fresh blueberries and the buttery streusel topping which is the “icing on the cake.” They’re also easy to make using only two mixing bowls and a spatula, no electric mixer required.
Blueberry muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, picnics or even an afternoon snack and almost everyone loves them!
Homemade Blueberry Muffins Ingredients
These ingredients combined yield the best muffins. This is a blueberry muffin recipe without milk or yogurt. We use oil, buttermilk and melted butter to keep them incredibly moist.
- All Purpose Flour – We use King Arthur flour for this recipe. It works as a stabilizer to hold the muffins together.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens the muffins.
- Baking Powder and Salt – Works to help the muffins rise and the salt brings out the flavor.
- Melted Butter (let it cool) – Butter adds to the flavor and moistness.
- Eggs – Create structure and stability.
- Buttermilk – The acid helps to tenderize the muffins.
- Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil) – Creates a very moist muffin
- Vanilla Extract – Adds extra flavor.
- Lemon Zest – Tartness and freshness.
- Fresh Blueberries – Creates a juicy pop throughout the muffins.
How to Make Blueberry Muffins
- Measure the Dry Ingredients – flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and give it a whisk with a fork.
- Combine the Wet Ingredients – In a mixing bowl combined the eggs, sugar, vanilla, melted butter, buttermilk, oil and lemon zest and whisk together.
- Combine Dry and Wet– Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Mix – Gently mix just until the dry ingredients are wet. Lumps are okay when making muffins. You do not want to mix until the batter is smooth.
- Add Blueberries – Gently fold in the blueberries, just until lightly coated in batter.
- Scoop – Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Scoop 1/4 cup into each cupcake liner.
- Add Streusel – In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients and then sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons over each cupcake batter.
- Bake – In a preheated 425 degree oven, bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Tips for Making the Best Blueberry Muffins
- Do not over mix the batter. Simple use a spatula to fold the ingredients. It’s also okay to have a few lumps in the batter.
- Use whole, organic ingredients when possible.
- Do not over bake, take them out when they just reach a nice golden brown.
Blueberry Muffins with Frozen Blueberries
If you only have frozen blueberries on hand, then let them thaw in the refrigerator and then drain the excess water.
Pat them dry and then add to the muffins!
How to Properly Mix Muffin Batter
The more you mix the batter the more gluten develops causing the muffins to have a tough texture, which you don’t want. Follow these steps for mixing the muffins properly.
Using a spatula, add the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold the ingredients together just until the dry are moistened.
Lumps are perfectly fine and needed. The batter should not be smooth and fully mixed. It should be thicker with lumps.
Add in the blueberries and lightly mix until they are coated with batter.
Muffins should have a soft and tender texture, so no over mixing!
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Lemon and blueberry go very well together. If you’re looking to make lemon blueberry muffins add in 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the batter as well as 1 tablespoon lemon zest. This will give the muffins a delicious lemon flavor.
You can also add some loom zest to the streusel topping too.
Frequently Asked Questions
We do recommend using fresh blueberry muffins for this recipe. However, if you can’t get fresh frozen will work. It will yield a slightly different muffin and the blueberries will more likely melt throughout rather than painting a full juicy berry. The overall flavor should be the same.
For more information, check out this guide to cooking with frozen blueberries from the Blueberry Council.
Muffins can be stored in the freezer for 2 months. Place them in airtight container or sealed bag and write the date on the outside to remember.
Let them thaw completely before serving.
Ingredients like buttermilk, melted butter and oil will all help to make a very moist blueberry muffin. This is why we use all three in this recipe. They even work well together and truly this recipe is amazing and the muffins are very moist.
If you want to add a little extra sweetness to the blueberries, toss them in sugar and a little lemon juice before adding them to the batter. You can also try maple syrup too!
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love!
How to Make Delicious and Easy Monkey Bread!
Easy Cornbread Muffins
The Best Coconut Loaf Cake
The Best Rosemary Lemon Loaf Cake
Blueberry Moscow Mules
Roasted Blueberry Crème fraîche Popsicles!
If you love these homemade blueberry muffins then try some of our other delicious recipes! Our coconut loaf cake!
Let us know if you make these blueberry muffins by leaving a comment and review below! We’d love to know your thoughts!
The Best Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil, vegetable oil works too
- 4 tbsp melted butter, cooled
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- Add the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a mixing bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Combine the wet ingreidnets, eggs, vanilla extract, butter, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and sugar in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients using a spatula.
- Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, not fully mixed until smooth. The batter should have lumps in it.
- Add in the blueberries and just barley mix until coated in batter.
- Prepare a cupcake tin with paper liners and fill 1/4 cup of batter in each.
- In a small bowl combine the streusel ingreidets and then crumble 1 -2 tbsp over the top of each cupcake.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.