Nothing better than warm cornbread muffins topped with butter! These homemade, easy cornbread muffins are simple to make and made with sour cream, butter, and whole milk to make them extra moist!
Also, try our cranberry orange cornbread recipe too. It’s baked in a round springform pan and uses cranberries and orange juice for extra flavor.
If you’re looking for more muffins try our popular blueberry muffins, banana blueberry muffins, cranberry orange muffins, and monkey bread muffins!
If you’re making our favorite chili recipe, BBQ, fried chicken, sausage, and peppers recipe or even Thanksgiving dinner, these cornbread muffins are the perfect pairing! They’re quick to make and always a hit! My kids gobble them up and love them topped with whipped butter, yum!
Also, if you love muffins check out the best blueberry muffin recipe too and monkey bread muffins, drizzled in homemade caramel sauce.
What We Love About This Recipe
What I love about these cornbread muffins is the moistness… the sour cream and butter make these incredibly moist.
Crispy edges form when baked from the butter. They’re so good!
Easy to make and pairs perfectly with our other easy everyday recipes.
Ingredients in Cornbread Muffins
Tips for Making Easy Cornbread Muffins
- When making muffins do not over-mix the batter. Of course, mix away when it’s just the liquid ingredients. But once the dry ingredients are combined with the wet, whisk lightly and gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- Do not overbake the muffins or they will be dry.
- Always use quality ingredients when you can. This makes a huge difference in the outcome of the muffins.
How to Freeze Cornbread Muffins
They freeze perfectly! Just seal them up tightly with tinfoil and then place them in a freezer-safe bag. You can store them for up to 6 months! Talk about make ahead!
What to Serve Cornbread Muffins With
Sheet Pan Chicken and Sausage Bake
Also, serve with a great cocktail recipe! Try ou favorite brunch recipes, the best-mixed drinks, tequila cocktails, gin cocktails, vodka cocktails, and cheap drinks to make at home!
Frequently Asked Questions
Let them cool for a few minutes, then use a soft silicone spatula around the edges of the muffin and down into the tin. Lift up and the muffin will pop out of the muffin tin.
Cornbread is popular within southern cooking thanks to Native Americans who have been using ground cornmeal for thousands of years.
European settlers, especially those who resided in the south, learned how to work with corn to make unique dishes from the Native Americans. They eventually started to add it to bread and other items.
Cornbread doesn’t have enough gluten to hold together by itself. The more flour a recipe calls for the less crumbly the cornbread will be.
Let us know if you make these easy cornbread muffins! Leave a comment and review below!
You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipes, cocktails, desserts, and parties!
Easy Cornbread Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup fine ground, whole-grain yellow cornmeal, MUST be fine ground!
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly hand whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs for 20 seconds.
- Add in the sugar to the eggs and whisk vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Add in melted butter and continue to whisk.
- Add in the sour cream and milk and whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix until combined.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Make sure to spray the inside of each muffin tin and the top of the pan too. Be generous with the spray!
- Using a cookie scooper or ice cream scooper, fill each greased tin 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- Remove and let them cool slightly before taking them out of the muffin tin.
- Serve warm with whipped butter!
4 thoughts on “Easy Cornbread Muffins”
Hey we’re so easy to make and we’re so delicious I added honey to mine oh so good. Definitely will be making them again.
Thank you for this recipe
So so so delicious! Just slightly sweet, creamy, and crumbly! We couldn’t find any corn meal that specifically said “Fine Ground” but I took my chances with a standard Quaker Corn Meal and they turned out great! I’m at a higher elevation (5,200 ft) and cooked them for 14 minutes, I think they could’ve gone 12-13 but they were still delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe!
So happy you liked them Madison! Thank you for leaving a sweet review too!! Appreciate it 🙂
ALMOST PERFECT: Three things:
1) I used 1 1/3 cups fine cornmeal and 1 2/3 white flour bc I wanted that corn taste but not crumbly
2) I would add another 1/4 of salt next time, maybe a 1/2. I felt like it missing a little bit of a tangy “bite”
3) I cooked them in a gas oven for only 12 minutes bc we used a mini muffin pan. My 6’5” boyfriend ate them whole 😆😳
I’d make these again with these slight tweaks. I reviewed 5 recipes. I like this one 🥰