This is truly the best homemade cornbread recipe! It’s made with sour cream and butter to make it super moist and buttery. The bread is sweetened with maple syrup and has cardamom, cranberries and orange zest for flavor. You can’t beat the moistness and taste of this cornbread recipe.
Cornbread is a classic side dish for many occasions. Our cornbread muffins are perfect for a summer BBQ’s, but this cranberry orange cornbread recipe is the best for Thanksgiving and a roasted turkey. It will be a hit at your next fall gathering!
We love this recipe because it’s incredibly moist and lightly sweetened. The cardamom adds so much flavor and the cranberries are soaked in orange juice before they’re added to the batter to make them juicy and sweet. When paired with a simple honey butter this homemade cornbread is melt in your mouth good.
Why You’ll Love this Cornbread Recipe
- Easy to make
- Super moist with butter and sour cream
- No mixer required
- Amazing flavor with cardamon, cranberries and orange zest
- Perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Halloween
How to Make Homemade Cornbread
What You’ll Need
9×9 or 10×10 round pan. We used a springform pan and it worked great.
Large and Small Mixing Bowl
Large Measuring Cup
Measuring Spoons and Cups
This sour cream cornbread is so incredibly moist and flavorful! The ingredients below all work together to create a wonderful cornbread that you’ll continue to make for years to come.
- Dried Cranberries
- Orange Juice
- Yellow Cornmeal
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda
- Orange Zest
- Vanilla Extract
- Sour Cream
- Maple Syrup
In a small bowl, soak the cranberries in the orange juice for 15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, orange zest, salt and cardamom in a bowl.
Combine the eggs, sour cream, maple syrup, vanilla and melted butter in a liquid measuring cup.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix.
Pour into a 9×9 or 10×10 round baking pan. You can use a springform pan which allows for easy removal.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Check after 25 minutes and if the center of the bread has risen and is a golden brown, it’s ready.
Tips For Making Homemade Cornbread
- Let the cranberries soak in the juice for 15 minutes or longer.
- Use whole, organic ingredients when possible.
- Check the cornbread after 25 minutes of baking to see if the middle has risen. Every oven is different and cooking times always vary. Use the old toothpick in the center to see if it’s done.
- This is not a sweet bread, so it’s best served with whipped honey butter and orange zest. We use 1/2 stick salted butter room temperature and whip it with 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup. Add orange zest for more flavor.
- Grease the pan before adding the batter.
- Garnish the bread with cranberries and extra orange zest.
How to Make Gluten Free Cornbread
To make our cornbread gluten free, simply swap out the flour for a gluten-free option, like Bob’s 1-1 Baking Flour. It’s an easy switch and works great in this recipe.
How to Freeze Homemade Cornbread
Cornbread freezes wonderfully. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and then place it in a freezer bag and seal. It will last 3-4 months in the freezer.
How to Thaw Cornbread
The best way to thaw anything that is frozen is to let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. To reheat the cornbread, wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. Add whipped butter over the top when it’s reheated to add more moisture and flavor.
What to Serve with Sour Cream Cornbread
Frequently Asked Questions
Cornmeal is made by grinding dried corn into a fine, medium or course texture. It can be made from blue, yellow or white corn. The most common cornmeal used in baking is yellow cornmeal. It’s used for texture and sweetness in recipes.
Depending on the recipe, cornbread can be gluten free. Cornmeal is gluten free and that is the main ingredient in cornbread. However, a lot of recipes also use flour which has gluten.
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you make this sour cream cornbread recipe, leave a comment and review below and let us know what you think!
Cranberry and Orange Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- In a small bowl, soak the cranberries in the orange juice for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, orange zest, salt and cardamom in a bowl.
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, maple syrup, vanilla and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix.
- Add the drained cranberries and gently fold the batter.
- Pour into a buttered 9×9 or 10×10 baking pan. We used a springform pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.