These super moist blackberry muffins are a delicious treat that will have you coming back for more! They have the perfect balance of sweet and tart, with a fluffy and buttery texture, and are filled with juicy blackberries!
The cardamom and orange zest add an extra depth of flavor that makes these muffins truly magical. To top it off, they are finished with a crunchy, sweet streusel topping that adds the perfect textural contrast.
Enjoy these muffins warm and straight from the oven for a truly indulgent experience! They make an excellent snack or dessert and will be enjoyed by all. Don’t forget to share them with friends and family – everyone will love these, they’re the best blackberry muffins!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Makes a very moist muffin with a fluffy texture.
- Easy breakfast and brunch recipe to make.
- The addition of cardamom, orange zest, and streusel topping makes these muffins truly special. We use cardamom in our apple cider donuts and it adds SO much flavor!
- They are loved by all and make a great treat to share.
How to Make Homemade Blackberry Muffins
We will cover everything you need to know to make the best muffins, answer frequently asked questions, and share our expert tips for recipe success.
If you prefer to go straight to the recipe, scroll to the bottom of the post where you’ll find the recipe card and measurements.
Here are a few supplies you’ll need to make these muffins:
All-Purpose Flour – This adds structure to the muffins. You can also try whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour too. Be sure to measure the flour correctly when baking.
Baking Powder – This helps the muffins rise and become light and fluffy.
Salt – This adds flavor to the muffins.
Sugar – This sweetens the muffins and makes them extra delicious.
Eggs – This helps give structure to the muffins.
Vanilla Extract – This adds a sweet and fragrant flavor to the muffins.
Buttermilk – This helps keep the muffins moist and tender.
Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil – This helps the muffins stay moist.
Unsalted Butter – This adds richness and flavor to the muffins.
Cardamom – This adds a sweet and savory flavor to the muffins.
Orange Zest – This adds a hint of citrusy flavor. You can also use lemon zest to make lemon blackberry muffins.
Fresh Blackberries – This makes the muffins juicy and flavorful. Use plump blackberries that are fresh and delicious!
Streusel Topping adds a crunchy, sweet topping to the fluffy muffins.
Tips for Making Muffins
Before you start baking, here are some tips to help you make the best muffins:
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before you start.
- Use fresh blackberries that are ripe and sweet for the best flavor and texture.
- Don’t over-mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. You want to just mix until the ingredients are combined, but the batter is still lumpy. Muffin batter should always have lumps.
- Use a cookie scooper to make evenly-sized muffins.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
- Enjoy the muffins warm for the best flavor and texture!
- Serving these to a crowd? No problem! Make a double batch for extra muffins!
- Baking time will vary, so check the muffins after 10 minutes to see if they have risen and if they have a golden brown color.
- Add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the batter.
- Use other seasonal fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries.
- Replace the cardamom with ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Swap out the orange zest for lemon zest for a different flavor profile.
- Add a glaze or frosting to the top of the muffins for an extra sweet treat.
- For gluten-free blackberry muffins use gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour.
- You can use frozen blackberries for this recipe too, however, it will change the baking time and texture of the muffins.
How to Store Blackberry Muffins
If you have leftover muffins, there are a few ways to store them:
The muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
For longer storage, freeze the muffins for up to 3 months. Let them thaw before serving.
To reheat, pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm.
What to Serve with Blackberry Muffins
These muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack, or dessert. Serve them with butter or blackberry jam. They also go great with a cup of hot tea, cold milk, or coffee. Here are some delicious dishes you can serve with these muffins:
Frequently Asked Questions
You can substitute blueberries for blackberries in muffin recipes. The flavor and texture will be slightly different, but it still makes a delicious treat! Be sure to use fresh blueberries instead of frozen, and adjust the amount of sugar depending on how sweet your blueberries are.
These muffins are already very moist because it uses buttermilk, eggs, oil, and melted butter. You also need to make sure you’re using fresh ingredients and not overmixing your batter. If you want to further moisten your muffins, add an extra tablespoon of oil or melted butter.
Yes, you can prepare the muffin batter ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days before baking. When you’re ready to bake the muffins, let the batter come to room temperature before scooping it into the muffin tin.
Yes! You can replace the eggs with a flax egg and use vegan butter or coconut oil instead of regular butter. Make sure to use non-dairy milk such as almond, oat or coconut milk instead of buttermilk.
What temperature is best to bake muffins?
We bake our muffins at 425 degrees. This allows for a rapid rise and less cooking time for a super moist muffin. Many recipes will tell you to turn the temperature down to 375 after 5 minutes, but that is not necessary with this recipe. Pop them in the oven at 425 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.
What type of flour is best for muffins?
The best flour to use for muffins is the all-purpose flour in this recipe. This provides structure and a light texture. You can also use a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour if desired.
Let us know what you think!
If you make this easy blackberry muffin recipe let us know what you think by leaving a comment and review below!
Blackberry Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil , or vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp melted butter , unsalted or salted will work
- Add the flour, salt, sugar, ground cardamom and baking powder in a mixing bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Combine the wet ingredients, eggs, vanilla extract, butter, buttermilk, oil, orange zest, and sugar in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a spatula.
- Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, not fully mixed until smooth. The batter should have lumps in it.
- Add in the blackberries and just barely mix until coated in batter.
- Prepare a cupcake tin with paper liners and fill 1/4 cup of batter in each.
- In a small bowl combine the streusel ingredients and then crumble 2 tbsp over the top of each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 12 t0 14 minutes until golden brown.