Our classic white vanilla cupcake recipe is made with vanilla cake batter and topped with a whipped vanilla buttercream frosting. Using cake flour, butter, and oil these cupcakes are moist and delicious. Perfect for celebrations!
My kids go crazy for vanilla cupcakes, especially one topped with sprinkles. If I’m being totally honest, I’m more of a chocolate cupcake gal, but even I can’t resist these cupcakes. They remind me of the white vanilla cupcakes I used to gobble up as a child. The classic fluffy vanilla cupcakes with creamy buttercream, topped with irresistible rainbow sprinkles, yum.
The batter is made without egg yolks to keep the cupcake a warm shade of vanilla. They’re moist and perfect celebration cupcakes with sprinkles on top. We made these super fun Lucky Charms Cupcakes using our vanilla cupcake recipe.
Vanilla cupcakes are a great base to add your own flavors. Top it with chocolate frosting or fill the center with lemon curd or caramel! There are so many options for creating your own version of these.
How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes
- Cake Flour
- Whole Milk
- Egg Whites
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil
- Beat butter and sugar on high in an electric mixer.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Combine the eggs whites, oil, vanilla extract and whole milk in
liquidmeasuring cup and lightly whisk.
- Alternate the dry and the liquid ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and continue to mix until the batter in fully incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.
- Place two scoops of vanilla cupcake batter into each cupcake paper. About 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 12-15 minutes. Always start with less time, check on them and then continue baking if needed.
- Let them cool before frosting.
Is white cake the same as vanilla?
White cake and yellow cake are both vanilla cakes. White cake is made without egg yolk making the color of the cake white.
Tips for Making the Best Cupcakes
Use High-Quality Ingredients
- This makes a huge difference in the outcome of the cupcake. Try to buy King Arthur flour, whole grass-fed organic butter, organic eggs, Nielsen-Massey Vanilla, organic milk, etc.
Don’t Over Mix
- Once the butter, eggs, and sugar are beaten until light and fluffy, the rest of the ingredients should not be mixed on high. This will create a dense cupcake. When the flour goes in the mixer should be set to low.
Preheat the Oven
- A certain amount of heat applied quickly is required to activate the baking soda in the recipe. This will make the cupcake rise to be light and fluffy and not flat.
How can I make my cupcakes more moist?
Adding in a little oil to the cupcake batter will result in a more moist cupcake. Other ingredients like sour cream and butter will also create a moist cupcake. We like to use two ingredients like butter and oil when making cupcakes.
How long with cupcakes stay fresh?
Cupcakes will stay fresh for about 1 week covered. Store unfrosted cupcakes room temperature in an airtight container. You can also freeze unfrosted cupcakes for up to 3 months!
Furthermore, cupcakes frosted with buttercream and just a little
Pro tip – Only frost the amount of cupcakes you will be serving for ultimate freshness!
Unique Cupcake Recipes
Let us know if you make this vanilla cupcake recipe by leaving a comment and review below! We love to hear what you think. You can also tag your photos @sugarandcharm on all social channels!
Classic Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy.
- Using a fork whisk together liquid ingredients: egg whites, oil, milk and extract in a bowl or a liquid measuring cup.
- Alternate the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mixture beating on medium until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake molds 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Start with 12 minutes, check on the cupcakes and if they need more time leave them in for another few minutes. Do not over bake.
- Let them cool and then frost with our simple buttercream frosting recipe!