This is the best buttercream chocolate frosting ever! It’s incredibly creamy, full of chocolate flavor and made with only 6 ingredients. You will never need another chocolate frosting recipe.
What makes this chocolate buttercream frosting different is that it’s made with semisweet chocolate morsels not unsweetened cocoa powder.
The morsels create the creamiest buttercream texture, resulting in literally the best chocolate frosting ever!!
This recipe also holds its shape really well when used to pipe on cupcakes too!
My family loves this chocolate frosting so much they will fight over the last, delectable piece of dessert just to lick the frosting off!
It goes perfectly with our chocolate cupcake recipe, but can also be used with vanilla cake, cupcakes or any dessert that requires chocolate frosting.
This will be your go-to chocolate frosting recipe for all of your desserts!
How to Make Buttercream Frosting
It’s incredibly easy to make! We’re showing step by step directions. The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
- Unsalted Butter
- Confections Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- Semisweet Chocolate Morsels
- Instant Espresso Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
In an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes on medium to high speed.
Next, pour the chocolate morsels into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until soft.
Then, remove the morsels from the microwave and stir to melt into a creamy, smooth texture.
With the mixer on low, add the melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mix.
Turn the mixer to medium and continue to beat for another minute.
Next, add in the vanilla, espresso and a pinch of salt and mix until everything is combined and fluffy!
How do you make chocolate buttercream frosting from scratch?
Making chocolate frosting from scratch is easy! You’ll need an electric mixer, some measuring cups and either a microwave or saucepan to melt chocolate.
Follow the recipe below to learn all the details for making chocolate buttercream frosting from scratch.
How Long Will chocolate buttercream keep?
Buttercream frosting will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator. Keep it sealed in an airtight container.
Furthermore, buttercream frosting will keep for two days at room temperature. Keep the dessert covered, we like to use a cake dome, and stored at room temperature.
Does buttercream frosting need to be refrigerated?
If you plan on consuming the buttercream within a few days it does not beed to be refrigerated. However, if you’re going to wait a week to use it, it does need to be refrigerated.
Can I leave buttercream out overnight?
Yes, you can leave buttercream frosting room temperature for up to two days.
Can I freeze chocolate buttercream frosting?
Buttercream can freeze! You can save it for up to three months in the freezer. To freeze, store in an airtight container. When you’re ready to use the buttercream, place it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
Let us know if you make this buttercream chocolate frosting recipe by leaving a comment and review below!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , room temperature (1 1/2 cup is 3 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels , melted
- 2 tbsp milk, whole or 2%
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
- pinch salt
- In an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Pour the chocolate morsels into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until soft.
- Take the morsels out of the microwave and stir to melt into a creamy, smooth texture.
- With the mixer on low, add the melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mix.
- Turn the mixer to medium and continue to beat for another minute.
- Add in the vanilla, espresso and a pinch of salt and mix until everything is combined and fluffy!