The best chocolate buttercream frosting ever! It’s incredibly creamy, full of chocolate flavor, and made with only six ingredients. You will never need another chocolate frosting recipe.
This chocolate buttercream frosting is different because it’s made with semisweet chocolate morsels, not unsweetened cocoa powder. The morsels create the creamiest buttercream texture, resulting in the best chocolate frosting ever!!
This recipe also holds its shape well when used to pipe on cupcakes. If you choose to pipe this on cupcakes, use a pastry bag o ripping bag for the easiest method.
My family loves this chocolate frosting so much they will fight over the last delectable piece of dessert to lick the frosting off!
It goes perfectly with our chocolate cupcake recipe but can be used with vanilla cake, cupcakes, birthday cakes or any dessert that requires chocolate frosting.
This recipe will be your go-to chocolate frosting recipe for all your desserts!
Check out more of our homemade frosting recipes too! You’ll love our chocolate sour cream frosting, vanilla buttercream, and the best Swiss meringue frosting.
Uses for Chocolate Frosting
You can use it for:
The possibilities are endless.
So, if you want a foolproof homemade chocolate frosting recipe to please everyone in your family, this is the one.
Not only is it easy to make and incredibly delicious, but it’s also packed with intense chocolate flavor!
How to Make Our Easy Chocolate Frosting Recipe
It’s straightforward to make! We’re showing step-by-step directions, tips and answering questions below.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Here are a few supplies you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Stand Mixer
- Large Bowl – That is microwavable.
- Rubber Spatula
Unsalted Butter – Use good quality butter and ensure it’s room temperature before whipping.
Confectioner’s Sugar (Powdered Sugar) – This gives the frosting sweetness and a soft texture.
Cream – Use a bit whole milk for a creamy, smooth textureSemisweet
Semisweet Chocolate Morsels – Semisweet morsels make a deep chocolate flavor and the creamiest texture.
Instant Espresso Powder – Coffee flavor enhances the flavor of the chocolate.
Vanilla Extract – Adds more flavor and also enhances the flavors in the frosting.
Pinch Salt – Enhances the flavors in all of the ingredients.
In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. It takes about 5 minutes at medium speed.
Next, pour the chocolate morsels into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until soft.
Then, remove the morsels from the microwave and stir to melt them into a creamy, smooth texture.
With the mixer on low speed, add the melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mix.
Turn the mixer to medium and continue to beat for another minute.
Next, add in the vanilla extract, espresso powder, and a pinch of salt and mix until everything is combined and fluffy!
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Frosting
- Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature before starting.
- Whip the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until the texture is light and fluffy.
- Use good semisweet chocolate morsels for the deepest, most intense chocolate flavor.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- Add some heavy cream or half and half, one tablespoon at a time, for a lighter, fluffier frosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making chocolate frosting from scratch is easy! You’ll need an electric mixer, measuring cups, and a microwave or saucepan to melt chocolate.
Follow the recipe below to learn all the details for making chocolate buttercream frosting from scratch.
Buttercream frosting will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator. Keep it sealed in an airtight container.
Furthermore, buttercream frosting will keep for two days at room temperature. Keep the dessert covered; we like to use a cake dome and store at room temperature.
If you plan on consuming the buttercream within a few days, it doesn’t need to be refrigerated. However, if you’re going to wait a week to use it, it does need to be chilled.
You can leave buttercream frosting at room temperature for up to two days.
Can I freeze chocolate buttercream frosting?
If you have leftover frosting, you can freeze it. You can save it for up to three months in the freezer. To freeze, store in an airtight container. When ready to use the buttercream, place it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
Can I use salted butter?
Yes, you can! If you use salted butter, you won’t need to add a pinch of salt to the recipe. The salt in the butter will help bring out all the flavor of your chocolate.
Can I use different types of chocolate?
Yes! You can use whichever type of chocolate you prefer for this recipe. Some popular options are semisweet, dark, milk, and white chocolate.
What is the difference between chocolate icing and frosting?
Chocolate icing is typically thinner and glossier than frosting. It’s used to spread over cakes and cookies. Chocolate frosting is a thicker, creamier texture that holds its shape when piped. It usually has a fluffy texture too. Both are incredibly delicious and the perfect topping for any.
What are the four types of frosting?
The four types of frosting include:
- Royal Icing
- Cream Cheese Frosting
Each adds unique flavor and texture to cakes, cupcakes, brownies, and more!
How to Pipe Chocolate Frosting
Piping chocolate frosting is super easy. All you need is a piping bag fitted with the right tip, a tall glass and your frosting.
- Start by placing the piping bag into the glass and folding the edges around the top. This creates an easy way to scoop the frosting.
- Spoon the frosting into the bag, making sure it is not overfilled.
- Twist the end of the bag to seal and then pipe away!
- Use a good amount of pressure on the bag as you pipe to get your desired look.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
How to Make Marshmallow Fondant
Let us know what you think!
Let us know if you make this buttercream chocolate frosting recipe by leaving a comment and review below!
You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipes, cocktails, desserts, and parties!
Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , room temperature (1 1/2 cup is 3 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar , powdered sugar
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels , melted
- 2 tbsp milk, whole or 2%
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
- pinch salt
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Pour the chocolate morsels into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until soft.
- Take the morsels out of the microwave and stir to melt into a creamy, smooth texture.
- With the mixer on low, add the melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mix.
- Turn the mixer to medium and continue to beat for another minute.
- Add in the vanilla, espresso powder, and a pinch of salt, and mix until everything is combined and fluffy!
8 thoughts on “Easy Chocolate Frosting Recipe”
I made this frosting and it’s wonderful. My question is milk is listed in the ingredients but not in the directions. I added the milk but it made the frosting too thin so I added more powdered sugar.
Hi Andrea! Glad you liked it, and I will fix the milk ingredient!! Thank you!
This frosting is so delicious! I made it for my son’s birthday and he loved it! I will definitely be making this again!
This frosting is fabulous on cupcakes, but I really just want to eat it all with a spoon! So yummy!
This was a huge hit with my kids!! Can’t wait to make it again!
The best frosting! Love the little touch of espresso powder! Gives it a nice flavor boost!
This frosting is what dreams are made of. So dang good and so creamy!
Yummy! I love a good easy to make chocolate buttercream frosting! 🙂