Easy snowman cupcakes are made with real shredded coconut and a moist vanilla cake. These cute coconut cupcakes are decorated with a little orange nose and chocolate chip button eyes! They’re perfect for Christmas celebrations or just as a fun winter dessert. Plus, they’re really easy to make – no special skills are needed!
I made these cute snowman cupcakes for my kids and they devoured them! They are truly so delicious and full of coconut flavor. I’m also a huge fan of sprucing up a boxed cake. Not only does this make the recipe super easy, but it also makes it foolproof with less measuring and work.
Why This Recipe Works
Table of Contents
- We use a moist white boxed cake mix to make this and then add in coconut to spruce it up.
- The cupcakes are moist and full of coconut flavor from the real coconut shreds to coconut extract.
- They are beyond easy to decorate, which consists of dipping in frosting and shredded coconut!
- The little chocolate chip eyes add a touch of sweetness and the chocolate and coconut pair nicely together.
- You can be creative with the nose and use what you have or what you feel comfortable doing.
They are the perfect holiday treat and have the cutest snowman face!
How to Make Coconut Snowman Cupcakes
The full recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Here are a few supplies you’ll need to make these adorable snowman cupcakes.
- Mixing Bowls
- Cupcake Pan
- White Cupcake Liners
- Piping Bag and Small Round Tip – You can also use a small ziplock bag and cut a tiny hole in the corner.
White Box Cake Mix – Use a white boxed cake mix for this recipe. You can find organic boxed cakes or use any of the popular brands at your local grocery store. If you’re gluten, try a gluten-free white cake mix to use.
Vegetable Oil – The oil helps to make the cupcakes moist and fluffy. Vegetable oil or canola oil works best.
Egg Whites – This is key in making the cupcakes moist. Use organic eggs when possible.
Coconut Extract – This gives a beautiful coconut flavor to the cupcakes.
Shredded Coconut – Adds texture and more coconut flavor.
Mini and Standard Chocolate Chips – We use these for the standard chocolate chips for the snowman’s eyes and the mini chips for the mouth.
Frosting – We use our favorite Swiss merging buttercream frosting with a dash of coconut extract and it’s perfect!
We love using our Swiss Meringue Buttercream for these cupcakes with a 1/2 teaspoon of added coconut extract. However, you can use any type of frosting you like! Just make sure you add in 1/2 tsp coconut extract. You can add the extract to store-bought frosting too.
Make a vanilla buttercream frosting, or cream cheese frosting and save a little for the orange nose. You can also use store-bought vanilla frosting too.
One good thing about these cupcakes is that they don’t use a lot of frosting, just a small amount for the coconut to stick to the top. Any type of white frosting with coconut extract will work.
If you’re making an orange buttercream nose, you’ll need to whip up a small batch of buttercream frosting and add orange food coloring. You don’t need much of this, so if you prefer not to make it you can use orange candies like candy corn or shape a small nose out of orange fondant.
Snowman Nose Alternatives
There are other options for the snowman’s nose. Use candy corn, an orange Reese’s Pieces, or an orange M&M. You can also shape an orange nose out of orange fondant.
Be creative with this! There are so many options for creating a little orange nose.
Steps to Making Snowman Cupcakes
- Make the coconut cupcake batter.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled add a dollop of frosting then dip it into shredded coconut.
- Add the chocolate chip eyes and mouth to the top of each cupcake.
- Using a little orange buttercream, add a cute carrot nose.
Expert Tips for Success
- Check the dates on all of your ingredients before you start. Using fresh ingredients will yield the best cupcakes.
- Make these organic by using all organic ingredients, including organic cake mix.
- Use finely shredded coconut for the best texture. You can add it to a blender or food processor to make it fine.
Store these snowman cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Make the cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them without the frosting. When you’re ready to serve, remove them the day before and let them thaw in the refrigerator, then at room temperature. Continue frosting and decorating them.
When to Serve Coconut Cupcakes
These adorable snowmen cupcakes are perfect for a Christmas party or winter celebrations! They’d be great for a holiday party, office party, family gathering, or just because! They’re also perfect for kids’ birthday parties too!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have orange buttercream, you can use candy corn, an orange Reese’s Pieces, or an orange M&M. You can also shape an orange nose out of orange fondant.
Yes! You can make the cupcakes and frosting up to 3 days in advance. Keep them stored in the fridge until you’re ready to decorate them.
More Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love
Here are some more delicious cupcake recipes!
We hope you enjoy these delicious cupcakes. They’re great for the whole family and make the cutest holiday treats!
Let us know if you make these cute snowman cupcakes by leaving a comment and review below.
Coconut Snowman Cupcakes
- 1 boxed cake mix, white
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 8 ounces vanilla frosting, use any white or vanilla frosting you like but add in 1/2 tsp coconut extract.
Snowman Decorative Ingredients
- 30 standard chocolate chips, about 4 ounces
- 75 mini chocolate chips, about 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup orange buttercream frosting ,, or any orange candy to look like a nose
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl add all of the cake ingredients.
- Mix just until incorporated.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- Scoop the batter into each of the cupcakes papers, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Make the frosting – If you're using already made frosting, stir in 1/2 tsp cconut extract.
- Add a small amount of frosting to the top of the cupcake and swirl to cover the top.
- Dip into a bowl of finely shredded coconut.
- Add two chocolate chip eyes and use mini chocolate chips to add a mouth.
- Fill a piping bag, fitted with a small round tip with orange buttercream to make a cute little carrot nose.