This simple Ice Cream Sundae Sheet Cake is a chocolate and vanilla marbled cake with ice cream sundae toppings! It’s a treat for any age and quick to decorate.
It doesn’t matter my age, I still (and will always) love a delicious ice cream sundae. That’s why we gave the classic dessert a twist and made an ice cream sundae sheet cake. It’s made with chocolate and vanilla cake mix, drizzled with caramel and chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, nuts and cherries! It’s such a fun cake, especially for a birthday.
Sheet cakes are extremely easy to make and you don’t have to spend the extra time, stacking and frosting and then trying to get the frosting perfect around the sides. Just bake it and frost the top. Easy as pie… wait, pie is harder for sure!
How to Make an Ice Cream Sundae Cake
1.Make your favorite chocolate AND vanilla cake. You can used a gourmet box cake or make delicious homemade cakes. Whatever you prefer and have time for.
2. Add giant spoonfuls of chocolate and vanilla batter in a 9×13 rectangular cake pan.
3. Using a knife, move it side to side to marble and swirl the batter together.
4.Bake the cake accordingly to the recipe you’re using or at 350 degrees until the cake is a light golden brown.
5. Slightly warm caramel sauce and chocolate sauce in a microwave, but just enough to drizzle. Not too hot or it will all soak into the cake. We used the caramel and chocolate sauce that is for ice cream sundaes! The flavor is nostalgic.
6. Let the cake cool completely before adding sauces and whipped cream.
7. Drizzle both of the sauces over the cake. It look so pretty!
8. Spread whipped cream over the top and add the toppings!
We used this exact rectangular cake pan and I love it!
Ice Cream Sundae Toppings
- Use classic ice cream sundae toppings for this cake!
- Cherries – Use real or maraschino
- Sprinkles – Any kind of rainbow sprinkles!
- Nuts – The classic ice cream sundae peanuts are the best for this cake. You can find them with the caramel and chocolate toppings in the grocery store. Usually near the ice cream.
- Whipped Cream – We made our own (recipe below) but you can also buy it already made in the container to spread over the top of the cake.
- You could also add crumbled waffle cones too!
How to Make Homemade Whipped Cream
This cake doesn’t have a traditional frosting on it. The caramel and chocolate sauce add the sweetness and topped with whipped cream, it’s the perfect combination. I love how it’s not overly sweet!
- In a mixer with the whisk attachment, beat 1 cup cold heavy cream with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and a little vanilla extract.
- Beat until soft peaks form and then spread over a cooled cake.
The Best Box Cake Mix
If you’re going to use a boxed cake, use a good quality one because it makes a HUGE difference in taste! With these, they actually taste homemade and you can’t even tell they’re not! It’s always nice to have a few on hand.
King Arthur Gluten Free Chocolate Cake – It’s SO good and it’s gluten free!!
King Arthur Yellow Cake Mix – Find this at Whole Foods.
Williams Sonoma Chocolate Bundt Cake – You can make this is a rectangle pan too.
Williams Sonoma Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake – Also can be made in a rectangular pan too. Just change the bake time.
More Sheet Cakes You’ll Love!
Neapolitan Sheet Cake – Sugar and Charm
Homemade Funfetti Sheet Cake – Sugar and Charm
Party Perfect Sheet Cakes – Southern Living
Texas Sheet Cake – All Recipes
Let us know if you make this as we would love to see how your ice cream sundae cake turns out!! Tag @sugarandcharm on social and #sugarandcharm.
Ice Cream Sundae Sheet Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake or your favorite homemade cake
- 1 box vanilla cake or your favorite homemade cake
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1/4 cup warm caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup warm chocolate sauce
- 1/4 cup ice cream sundae peanuts
- 8 plump cherries or maraschino cherries in a jar work too
- Make the chocolate AND vanilla cake batter. Follow the recipe or box for ingredients and cooking instructions for the cake batters.
- Add giant spoonfuls of chocolate and vanilla batter in a 9×13 rectangular cake pan. You will have a little extra chocolate and vanilla batter, so make cupcakes or a small fun cake!
- Using a knife, move it side to side to marble the batter together.
- Bake the cake accordingly to the recipe you’re using.
- Warm caramel sauce and chocolate sauce in separate bowls. Not too hot or it will all soak into the cake.
- Drizzle both of the sauces over the cake. It looks so pretty!
- In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, add the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whisk on high until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over the top of the cake.
- Add sprinkles, nuts, more drizzled caramel, and cherries to the top of the cake and enjoy!