You’re going to love these DIY coconut bowls! If there’s one thing we get satisfaction from, it’s being resourceful and using an item in its entirety! We purchased these coconuts for $1.50 each and got three uses from them… fresh coconut water (which we drank while finishing the bowls!), coconut meat and the coolest coconut bowls!! The bowl can be used for so much and looks great sitting out. If you use a food-safe sealer, you can use them as serving bowls and if you have regular decoupage glue, use the bowls for cosmetics, jewelry, etc. You can even decoupage paper them, or spray paint the outside of them too. Get creative and go coconuts over this fun DIY!
DIY Coconut Bowls
1. Use a screw driver and a hammer on the bottom of the coconut. Hit the screw driver several times with the hammer until you feel and hear a hollow sound. We made 3 holes in each.
2. Shake the coconut over a bowl to get all of the water out. Strain the water so you can drink it! Yum.
3. Using a hammer, pound in the center of the coconut, all the way around. This will create a line and eventually the coconut will break! You will have to go around a few times for the coconut to break.
4. When the coconut breaks in half, you can scrape some of the meat out. After we got some of the meat out, we microwaved the coconuts to soften the rest of the meat. Then using a spoon and knife we lifted it out in larger chunks. It does take some time, but it’s worth it!
5. Using very course sandpaper, sand the inside and all of the outside until completely smooth!
6. Seal the coconuts with decoupage; or food safe sealer if you’re going to use them to serve food.
One coconut makes one bowl