Baked banana donuts are a sweet and delicious treat topped with creamy crème fraîche icing. They are naturally flavored with ripe bananas and cardamom. These are easy to make without having to fry them.
We love banana bread (we have the best recipe ever!), but these donuts are delicious and fun! These donuts are great plain, but the crème fraîche icing adds a nice touch. It’s made with four simple ingredients and whipped in one bowl. This is an easy recipe to make all year!
How to Make Baked Banana Donuts
Table of Contents
We’ll cover everything you need to know to make the best donuts, answer questions and share our expert tips. If you prefer to get the recipe, scroll to the bottom of the post, where you’ll find the recipe measurements.
You’ll need just a few supplies to make this banana donut recipe:
- Donut Mold
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl – Large bowl and small bowl.
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Wire Rack
- Pastry Bag
Ingredients for Banana Donuts
To make our delicious baked banana donuts, we’ll need the following ingredients:
- All-purpose Flour – Measuring the flour is necessary; either weigh it for the correct amount or use a measuring cup to ensure you spoon the flour correctly. You can just follow our guide for measuring flour to make sure it’s correct.
- Granulated Sugar – White sugar adds all the sweetness you need for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – This helps the donuts to rise. Make sure to check the freshness dates on the baking powder.
- Salt – Adds and enhances the flavors in the recipe.
- Ground Cardamom and Nutmeg – These spices add warmth and depth of flavor to the donuts. You can also use cinnamon instead of cardamom.
- Ripe Bananas – Using mashed overripe bananas adds natural sweet banana flavor and moisture to the donuts.
- Buttermilk – Adds tanginess and helps activate the baking powder
- Eggs – Use room-temperature eggs.
- Unsalted Butter – Melted butter adds richness and flavor to the batter.
- Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract. This will enhance and add flavors to the donuts.
Creme Fraiche Glaze
For the crème fraîche glaze, we’ll need:
- Creme Fraiche
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Whisk the ingredients into a small mixing bowl until smooth. Add the glaze into a piping bag to drizzle over the donuts once cooled.
You can also make a chocolate glaze or maple syrup glaze for this recipe.
Steps to Making Banana Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter the donut pan well. You can use cooking spray too.
- Combine the flour, ground spices, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract to a liquid measuring cup.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the melted butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer to low and alternate the dry and wet ingredients.
- Mash the bananas and then fold the mashed bananas into the batter. The best way to mash bananas is to use a fork.
- Mix just until incorporated, and do not over-mix.
- Using a plastic ziplock or piping bag, fold the bag over a tall glass and fill it with the donut batter.
- Squeeze one layer of batter into each donut shape.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.
- While the donuts bake, whip up the glaze in a mixing bowl.
- When the donuts are done, let them cool on a cooling rack for a minute.
- You can dip the donuts when warm or drizzle glaze over the top. Always add parchment paper under a cooking rack to catch the glaze drips
How to Brown Bananas Quickly
The quickest way to get bananas to brown is to place them in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay the bananas (with the peel) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for about 5 minutes.
The bananas should be lightly browned when done. Be careful not to over-bake the bananas, as they can become very mushy and even burn once you remove them from the oven.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Use ripe bananas that are soft and easy to mash. This will give your donuts the best flavor and texture.
- We recommend combining all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour for a healthier treat.
- Add chocolate chips or chopped nuts to the batter for extra crunch.
- Swap out the flour for almond or coconut flour for a gluten-free option.
- Make buttermilk from milk and lemon juice.
- Instead of creme fraiche, you can use sour cream or Greek yogurt for the glaze.
- Use room temperature ingredients when making these donuts.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- Every oven has different temperatures; do not overtake the donuts, or they will dry.
- These would also be good with a cinnamon sugar coating instead of a glaze.
How to Store Banana Donuts
Store the donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. You can also store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze and Thaw
You can freeze the donuts for up to 2 months. Make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic or aluminum foil before freezing. To thaw, leave them at room temperature for a few hours or heat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
These banana donuts are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a sweet snack any time of the day.
A ripe banana will be a yellow-brown color, with some brown spots on the skin. The skin should be slightly soft when gently pressing your finger into it. The riper the banana, the sweeter it will taste.
More Donut Recipes
If you love these baked donuts, try more of our favorite donut recipes!
Let us know what you think!
Let me know if you make this baked banana donuts recipe by leaving a comment and review below!
Baked Banana Donuts Recipe
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
Creme Fraiche Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp milk, you may need 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine Wet Ingredients – In a measuring cup, combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine Dry Ingredients – Add flour, salt, cardamom and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat Butter and Sugar – In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until combined.
- Alternate Dry & Wet Ingredients – With the mixer on low, slowly alternate the wet ingredients with the dry until the ingredients are mixed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Fold in mashed bananas.
- Fill a piping bag and pipe into the donut pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze, whisk all of the ingredients for the glaze in a medium bowl.
- Add more milk if you need to adjust the texture.
- Once the donuts are baked, let them cool and then remove them onto a cooling rack.
- Add parchment paper under the cooling rack, then drizzle the glaze over the donuts.