How charming are these easy brushstroke sugar cookies for Valentine’s Day?! They use the classic sugar cookie recipe with a fondant topping and then they’re brushed lightly with a gel paste! Incredibly simple to make and even more fun to decorate… we broke out some brushes and felt very artistic creating brush strokes with food coloring! If you’re not a fan of fondant, you can do a royal icing that hardens too.
We used the same heart-shaped cookie cutter to make the hearts and to cut out the fondant. Try to roll out the fondant to be a very thin layer.
Add a little bit of butter cream frosting on the cookie before you lay the fondant over it. This will allow the fondant to stick to the cookie.
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar, just until smooth and combined.
- Mix in the eggs until incorporated one at a time.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, and salt, and mix on medium-low speed, until the dough gathers itself into a ball and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Divide dough into three parts.
- Roll each section of the dough ¼ inch thick between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Refrigerate while you do the next section of dough.
- When all three parts are finished, take one part of the dough out of the fridge, remove top sheet of parchment and cut out shapes.
- Roll the second section, cut out and combine remaining dough from the first section, roll back out between parchment, refrigerate and continue on with 3rd section.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes.
- Cool completely, then roll and cut out fondant hearts.
- Spread a small layer of buttercream frosting on each cookie and place the fondant on top.
- For the Brushstroke
- Mix pink and white gel paste together to form the desired color you like
- Use cake decorating brushes to make brush strokes onto the white fondant.
- Mix and match colors and use gold dust for another charming touch!