We’re loving these money origami butterfly leis for all those spring graduations happening. Such a charming way to congratulate the grads in your life! Whether high school or college, a graduation should be celebrated since it’s such a great achievement. Bringing leis to the graduation ceremony has become kind of a tradition and what better gift than adding some cash to it in the shape of money origami butterflies! Butterflies represent the different cycles in life, change and joy… so perfect for grads! For this cute grad idea, we simply made some little butterflies and tied them to a fresh lei. For each butterfly you’ll need 2 bills and a little ribbon… that’s it! So easy, but cute and unique.
You’ll need a fresh lei, at least six bills to make three butterflies and small ribbon.
- Fold the bill in half lengthwise
- Fold all of the corners in to make two points on each end of the bill
- Make small folds lengthwise, flipping the bill as you fold to make an accordion fold
- Fold that bill together evening in the center
- Take the other bill and fold it in half like a mountain crease
- Do the same accordion fold to this bill
- Put the two bills together, matching them in the center and tie with a small ribbon.
- Cut the ribbon to leave small antennas for the butterfly.
- Tie the butterfly around the string of the lei
- Here is a video showing how to make the butterflies