Apple crisp is one of the easiest and most delicious desserts to make. This homemade apple crisp recipe is full of fall flavors, a juicy sweet buttery flavor, topped with a baked oat apple crisp topping. It’s perfect fall and winter.
If you’re looking for a new recipe for apple crisp, this one is sure to please, whether you’re trying to impress loved ones over Thanksgiving or feeling a little nostalgic.
The topping has oats that add texture and flavor. There’s also plenty of brown sugar, which gives it that caramelized taste we all love so much. And don’t forget the cinnamon – it really makes the dish come alive.
What We Love About This Homemade Apple Crisp
- It’s simple to make, much easier than an apple pie! Once you’re done with the little prep work of peeling and slicing the apples, this is one of the easiest desserts to bake.
- This recipe has melted butter poured over the top after the crisp is baked It give it the ultimate flavor.
- It’s perfect for fall and winter and great for anyone who doesn’t want to fuss with a super fancy dessert.
How to Make an Easy Apple Crisp
Apples – Any variety will work. We used Granny Smith green apples. They need to be peeled and thinly sliced.
Corn Starch – This helps to thicken the filling.
Sugar – Granulated sugar sweetens the dessert.
Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract to enhance the flavors in the recipe.
Lemon Juice – Fresh squeezed lemon juice to add acidity to the filling.
Brown Sugar – Gives the crisp a deeper molasses flavor.
Rolled Oats – Used in the topping and get nice and crisp with baked with butter.
Flour – All-purpose flour is also used in the topping.
Cinnamon & Nutmeg – These fall spices add flavor to the apple crips.
Butter – Adds so much flavor to the topping.
Preheat – Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Peel & Slice – The apples need to be peeled and then thinly sliced.
Apple Filling – Mix the sliced apples, corn starch, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and mix using a spatula until the ingredients are combined.
Apple Crisp Topping – In another mixing bowl add in the rolled oats, flour, cubed butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Mix – Mix the topping together until combined.
Layer – In a round skillet layer the apples evenly until the bottom is filled. Then add a second layer over until you run out of apples.
Apple Crisp Topping – Spoon the apple crisp topping over the top of the sliced apples, covering all of them.
Bake – Place the skillet on a baking sheet and in the oven for 40 minutes. The apples will be tender and the topping should be brown and crispy.
Pour – Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter and pour it all over the top of the crisp.
Serve – Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Making a Homemade Apple Crisp
While slicing and peeling the apples, place them in a large bowl filled with cold lemon water. This way they won’t brown as you’re slicing and peeling all 5 apples.
Pour the melted butter over the top after the crisp is baked. This adds even more flavor to the apple crisp.
You can use a sheet pan or a square pan to bake an apple crips as well. This is an easy dessert and what you bake it in won’t change the flavor or texture too much.
How to Store Leftover Apple Crisp
Apple crisps are best enjoyed soon after they’re made. For maximum freshness, store any leftovers on a plate at room temperature for 24 hours.
You can also refrigerate the apple crisp in an airtight container for 5 to 6 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s easy to mistake the apple crisp and the apple crumble. After all, both are baked fruit desserts with a crunchy crisp topping. However, while the apple crisp topping includes oats or nuts, apple crumbles rarely do.
Yes. The apples should be peeled and sliced. Start at the top, or stem, of the apple, then circle down.
You can use any apples you like! Our personal choice is Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Fuji or Honeycrisp.
You can store apple crisp in a fridge for up to six days as long as it is covered or in an airtight container. At room temperature, it’s good for two days, after which you should discard it.
Can I freeze leftover apple crisp?
You can freeze apple crisp. Let it come to room temperature, then store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator and then bake it again in 350 degree oven for abut 15 minute so it can warm up.
What to Serve With Homemade Apple Crisp
Vanilla ice cream is the perfect pairing. You could also drizzle homemade caramel sauce over the top, a heartwarming winter treat. Still, the natural sweetness makes apple crumble tasty enough to enjoy on its own with a cup of coffee, tea or hot cocoa.
For wine lovers, these three wines match well with baked apple desserts:
- Moscato d’Asti – a light Italian with notes of fruit blossoms, that are delicious with apple desserts for those looking to indulge in something decadent.
- Tawny Port – The rich caramel flavors in the wine will complement your dish nicely.
- Riesling – With notes of green apples, Riesling’s sweetness can balance out caramel drizzle or cinnamon flavors that are present on top of an apple crisp.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Let us know if you make this recipe for apple crisp by leaving a comment and review below! We’d love to know your thoughts!
Homemade Apple Crisp
Apple Crisp Filling
- 5 green apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Apple Crisp Topping
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples.
- Mix the sliced apples, corn starch, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and mix using a spatula until the ingredients are combined.
- In another mixing bowl add in the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, cubed butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix the topping with your hands until it becomes a crumble texture.
- In a round skillet layer the apples evenly until the bottom is filled. Then add a second layer over until you run out of apples.
- Crumble the apple crisp topping over the top of the apples, covering all of them.
- Place the skillet on a baking sheet and in the oven for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.The apples will be tender and the topping should be brown and crispy.
- Melt the 1/2 cup butter and pour it all over the top of the crisp.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.