Starting in spring, we’re all about using coconut in our recipes! The tropical flavor makes us excited for warmer days, sitting outside with a coconut rum pineapple popsicle and enjoying the beautiful spring evenings!
If you’re looking for a deliciously, sweet and buttery bread to add to your spring menu you must try this coconut loaf cake! It’s the perfect addition to brunch and easy to make.
We love the buttery, crispy top of the loaf and how fluffy and moist it is inside!
How to Make a Coconut Loaf Cake
- Vanilla Extract + Almond Extract
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Shredded Coconut
- Baking Powder
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar for about 3 minutes.
While the butter and sugar are beating, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and give it a stir with a fork.
Add-in one egg at a time, beating just to incorporate.
Next, beat in extracts.
Turn the mixer to low and alternate flour mixture and coconut milk until combined.
Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Next, add in shredded coconut to the batter and give it one more quick mix.
Prepare a loaf pan (we use this ceramic loaf pan) with a strip of parchment paper and butter.
Tip: Leave a small amount of parchment paper hanging out for easy removal of the loaf.
Then, pour batter into the loaf pan, spread evenly and bake for 60 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center comes out (almost) clean with a toothpick.
TIP – The pan you use affect the cooking time. Glass, tin or ceramic are all completely different materials and the cooking time will vary depending on this.
We personally like the ceramic loaf pan and the cake does bake a little quicker when using it. The bottom line is, bake the cake until it’s done! The middle will rise and the cake will be done.
How to Make Coconut Glaze
The coconut glaze is created with only 3 simple ingredients, one bowl, and no mixer! It’s poured over the top of the loaf and adds a little extra sweetness and flavor.
Coconut Milk – Use the leftover milk in the can from the loaf.
Confections’ Sugar (powdered sugar)
Use canned coconut milk as it’s different from the coconut milk you drink in the carton. Canned is thicker and has more coconut fat.
In a small bowl combines all of the ingredients and whisk using a fork until combined!
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then pour the glaze over the top.
Lastly, top the coconut loaf and glaze with shredded coconut.
Tips for Making a Loaf Cake
- Always use the highest quality ingredients when making loaf cake. This means, whole butter, good flour, organic eggs, and good quality extracts.
- Use a ceramic loaf pan for even baking.
- We estimate the cooking time to be 60-70 minutes. However, everyone’s oven is different so check the loaf after 50 minutes. Always use a toothpick to check the center before removing the loaf from the oven.
- Use room temperature ingredients when possible.
- Always scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Removing the Loaf Cake
When the loaf cake is done, you serve it from the pan, with the glaze poured over the top OR remove the loaf cake from the pan, serve it on a small platter and pour the glaze over it.
The easiest way to remove the loaf cake is by pulling up on the two sides of the parchment paper. This is why we always suggest leaving a small amount at the top to grab for easy removal.
How can you tell if a cake is done without a toothpick?
Insert the toothpick into the center of the cake and if the toothpick comes out clean the cake is done. If it comes out with batter, the cake needs more time to cook.
If you take the loaf out too early it will fall in the center. However, we personally do like to take it out about a minute before it is fully done cooking so it’s not overcooked.
Additionally, you don’t have to have a toothpick to test the center. A clean sharp knife will work as well.
What Loaf Pan You Should Use
A loaf pan is a rectangular pan that is used for baking bread and loaves. If you like to bake, it’s a good idea to invest in one good loaf pan that you will have forever.
Our favorite is Emile Henry’s ceramic pan. It’s made from Burgundian clay, which absorbs, distributes and retains heat evenly, so bread and casseroles bake and brown to perfection.
More Cake Recipes You’ll Love!
The Best Banana Bread Recipe
The Best, Easy Homemade Blueberry Muffins
The Best Rosemary Lemon Loaf Cake
Let us know if you make this coconut loaf cake by leaving a comment and review below! We love to hear your thoughts!
Furthermore, tag us on social @sugarandcharm so we can see your photos!
Coconut Loaf Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 1 cup shredded coconut , sweetened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar for about 3 minutes.
- While the butter and sugar are beating, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and give it a stir with a fork.
- Add-in one egg at a time, beating just to incorporate.
- Next, beat in extracts.
- Turn the mixer to low and alternate flour mixture and coconut milk until combined.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Next, add in shredded coconut to the batter and give it one more quick mix.
- Prepare a loaf pan (we use this ceramic loaf pan) with a strip of parchment paper and butter.
- Then, pour batter into the loaf pan, spread evenly, and bake for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. THE TIME WILL VARY PER OVEN. You have to check the loaf and make sure it's finished. The top will be a golden brown and the center comes out (almost) clean with a toothpick. Please check the center with a toothpick to ensure the loaf is finished. If it's not, it will fall in the middle when you take it out. NOTE – The pan you use will also affect cooking time. It's OKAY if the loaf takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours as long as you're checking it and the middle has risen. Once the middle rises remove it.
- In a small bowl combines all of the ingredients and whisk using a fork until combined!
- Pour over the bread once it’s cooled for 10-15 minutes.
- Top the coconut loaf and glaze with shredded coconut.