An easy brown sugar cake with berries and creme Fraiche. It’s simple to make and a delicious, light dessert.
If you’re looking for a unique cake recipe, try this brown sugar cake. It’s totally different than the typical fluffy cake you’re used to. This cake has a little bit of a dryer texture, almost like a pound cake but has amazing flavor.
It’s not too sweet and is perfectly paired with creme Fraiche and a simple blackberry reduction. This would be a great dessert for tea time or an afternoon snack.
How to Make Blackberry Reduction
Making a simple reduction is beyond easy!
Add 1/2 cup of fresh, washed blackberries into a small sauce pan.
Add in 1 tsp lemon juice, 3 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch, and let it simmer until it becomes thicker consistency.
Use the juice to drizzle over the cake and creme Fraiche.
This is an easy process, no need to fuss over making a quick blackberry sauce. It’s used mostly to garnish and add another aspect of sweetness to the brown sugar cake.
Finally, cut the cake into small squares and serve with a dollop of creme Fraiche, a blackberry and a little blackberry sauce over the top.
More Cake Recipes You’ll Love
Let us know if you make this cake by leaving a comment and review below!
Brown Sugar Cake with Creme Fraiche
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter , 1 cup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until sugar is melted. Stir so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from he heat and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk together the eggs and the brown sugar/butter mixture and the vanilla.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 rimmed baking pan with cooking spray or rub butter on the bottom. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Put the cake in a 375 degree preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The cake will be a pretty golden brown. Do not over bake or you will have a dry cake!