In honor of all the Labor Day BBQs that are going down this weekend, we’ve created DIY tiki torches out of classic American liquor bottles. I originally spotted this idea at my friend Todd’s fiesta party and being the party enthusiast I am, it was a “tell me how you did that right now or I’ll put out my desserts” situation… just kidding ; ) To my surprise they’re incredibly easy to make! There’s a wonderful shop on Etsy called Harvest Moon Shoppes who make the custom copper wick tips and caps. They’re only $12 for two so you can’t go wrong! I ordered four and then headed to the mart to find some classic Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey bottles that would make a statement and look beautiful sitting out. The light and atmosphere they create is stunning. I’ve always been a fan of tiki torches, but now you can bring that perfect party lighting to any event… not just a luau!
What you need
- Two custom tiki torch wicks from Harvest Moon Shoppes.
- Bottles with the same size opening as a beer or wine bottle.
- Tiki torch fluid
- Since you’ll need the bottles empty, you can use a bottle that’s already been tapped into : ) or empty the alcohol into an airtight jar to keep it.
- Wash the bottles with water
- Fill the bottom of the bottle with water, just below the wick, don’t let the wick touch the water
- Then fill the bottle with tiki fluid
- Drench the wick in tiki torch fluid and then place it back in the bottle
- Light away from people, trees or anything else that may be hazardous
- When you’re done, blow the flame out and then place the copper cap back on the wick
Be safe and enjoy!
Follow us for your daily dose of Sugar and Charm on Instagram!