It’s a cupcake flag! Celebrate the 4th of July with this adorable and charming American flag cupcake cake! It’s the cutest 4th of July Cake! We used chocolate and vanilla mini cupcakes to create stars and stripes. It’s an easy patriotic dessert that all of your guests will adore and can eat with pride!
For summer, we love easy ideas that are charming and fun to take to a party. These adorable flag cupcakes are arranged to look like the American flag to celebrate any patriotic holiday! You can switch up the colors to your country’s flag too. They’re easy enough to make and you can even use a chocolate and vanilla cake mix to make them easier.
Supplies for American Flag Cupcakes
Table of Contents
- Large Flat Rectangle Platter – Similar to the marble tray we used.
- Mini Cupcake Tin
- Mini Cupcake Liners
- 3 Piping Bag
- Star Piping Tip
- Red and Blue Food Dye. If you want 100% natural dye, try these. Although they won’t be as vibrant, they will give a soft pastel color to the cupcakes.
- Chocolate and Vanilla Cake Mix
- Mixing Bowls for Colored Frosting
- Mini White Star Sprinkles
The Best Box Cake Mix
If you’re going to use a boxed cake, use a good quality one because it makes a HUGE difference in taste! These ones below actually taste homemade, so it’s nice to have a few on hand.
King Arthur Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake – It’s SO good and it’s gluten-free!!
King Arthur Yellow Cake Mix – Find this at Whole Foods.
Williams Sonoma Chocolate Bundt Cake – You can make this in a rectangle pan too.
Williams Sonoma Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake – Also can be made in a rectangular pan too. Just change the bake time.
We used 48 mini cupcakes to make this American flag cake. 12 chocolate cupcakes and 36 vanilla cupcakes.
How to Make an American Flag Cupcake Cake
- Bake 12 Chocolate Mini Cupcakes (for the stars)
- Bake 36 Vanilla Mini Cupcakes (for the stripes)
- Line them up on a flat rectangle platter. 12 chocolates where the stars will be and the vanilla for the stripes.
- Whip up a double batch of buttercream frosting and divide it into 3 bowls.
- Dye one bowl red, one blue and leave one white.
- Prepare 3 piping bags and add one color to each piping bag with the medium Wilton star tip and pipe on the frosting. Red and white for the stripes and blue for the stars.
- Add on star sprinkles to the blue cupcakes.
Place the 12 chocolate cupcakes in a square at the top, then line the vanilla cupcakes on the side and below the chocolate.
Prepare 3 piping bags with couplers so you can switch out the star tips. You’ll be piping blue, white and red frosting on the cupcakes.
It was hard to find white star sprinkles, so I bought a sprinkle mix and then took out the white stars. We also found these on Etsy, which would work too!
Add a few white star sprinkles to the blue cupcakes.
More Patriotic Desserts!
There you have it! This adorable flag cupcake cake will have you singing the Star Spangled Banner as you gobble it down! It’s super easy to make! Let us know if you have any questions and enjoy!
Please let us know if you make these by leaving a comment and review below! Also, tag us on social @sugarandcharm. We love to see what you all make!
American Flag Cupcake Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 drops red food coloring more if needed for desired color
- 5 drops blue food coloring more if needed for desired color
- Bake the cupcakes according to the box instructions in a mini cupcake tin with mini cupcake liners.
- Let the cupcakes cool to room temperature while you make the buttercream frosting.
- In an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on high.
- Add in vanilla, milk, and salt and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- Divide the frosting into 3 separate bowls.
- Add blue food coloring to one and red to the other. Keep one white.
- Prepare 3 piping bags, fitted with couplers. Add each color to the individual piping bags.
- You will be able to switch out the star tip if using couplers.
- Pipe 12 blue mini cakes, 18 red, and 18 white cupcakes.
- Place 12 blue cupcakes in a square in the corner of a rectangular platter. Then add a row of red, row of white and continue that pattern.