This homemade ginger syrup is easy to make with just four simple ingredients. It’s a great ginger-flavored simple syrup to have on hand when cocktail making! Check out the awesome cocktails you can use this ingredient in!
You guys are going to love these ginger cocktail recipes and homemade ginger syrup! It’s incredibly easy to make the syrup and extremely versatile when it comes to mixing hand-crafted ginger cocktails.
It also makes an awesome gift to give to friends and we’ve provided a printable download to use as tags or sticker labels. Now you ask, what can I do with this delicious ginger syrup?
Well, you’re in luck because we spent a boozy day in the Sugar and Charm test kitchen (ha!) and created two refreshing hand-crafted cocktail recipes, Ginger Tonic and a Dark & Stormy, as well as a delicious homemade Ginger Ale! And it was worth every single taste test!
How to make ginger syrup – step by step
Peel and chop the ginger. Place all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then reduce to a simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
Strain the syrup (discard the ginger) into a bowl with a spout. Add in 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
Using a funnel, pour the syrup into medium-sized glass jars. Tie or stick a label on it (scroll below for labels!) and enjoy it!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is ginger syrup?
This cocktail ingredient is essentially an infused simple syrup that is made with fresh ginger. Syrups are a great way to get a hit of flavor into cocktails without diluting them.
Cocktails with ginger syrup
Scroll up and down this page, and you will find three delicious recipes you can make with this simple ingredient.
A classic dark and stormy is probably my favorite! Ginger goes so well with a variety of spirits, rum, bourbon, vodka, gin to name a few, and it works wonderfully with anything apple, cucumber or mint-flavored.
How long does flavored simple syrup last?
Store simple syrup in a sterilized bottle in the fridge, and it will last for around six months. This long shelf life means that it is a perfect gift for your cocktail making friends!
Top tips for making homemade ginger syrup
- Let the syrup simmer for at least an hour to get a strong flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Sterilize the glass jar you are using with boiling water.
- The recipe makes 2 cups of syrup and it is easily doubled.
Be sure to check out these other delicious cocktail recipes!
Island Breeze Cocktail by Crazy for Crust
Vodka Mint Lemonade by Laylita’s Recipes
If you have tried this homemade syrup recipe, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below! You can also follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food!
Homemade Ginger Syrup Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Peel and chop the ginger. Place all of the ingredients into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then reduce to a simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Strain the syrup (discard the ginger) into a bowl with a spout. Add in 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Using a funnel, pour syrup into medium sized glass jars. Tie or stick a label on it and enjoy!