Infusing sugar is one of the easiest things to make and can add flavor and charm to recipes. The wonderful uses of infused sugars are endless! Learn how to make make your own with our step-by-step tutorial and how-to video!
I love the idea of infusing sugar! You can use the citrus or lavender sugar in a pound cake or sugar cookie recipe to add a hint of flavor or simply place a teaspoon in your coffee (think espresso bean-infused!) or when mixing a cocktail.
It can also be used to garnish the glass rim of some fresh-squeezed lemonade or another delicious drink!
The sugars make wonderful gifts and for a special touch, attach your favorite recipe that the sugar would compliment. Any type of citrus zest, vanilla bean, or herb will work perfectly. Read below to find the secret to infusing sugar ; )
Infusing Sugars (Step by Step)
Sugar – Cane or
Ribbon and Twine to Garnish the bottles.
Herbs, Dried Flowers, Citrus, or whatever you use to infuse the sugar.
- Zest the fruit you want to use to give your sugar a touch of flavor. Leave it out overnight to dry COMPLETELY, especially if you’re using fruit!
- Layer the sugar and the zest in a glass container. When you reach the top, add some extra zest for color.
- Let the sugar sit for at least one week before you use it, or hand them out as a favor. This will give the sugar optimal flavor!
- If you use lavender or espresso beans, you can remove them by straining the infused sugar into a separate bowl before using it in a recipe or coffee. Or you can grind the beans and lavender to a super fine consistency and leave them in the sugar!
Flavor Ideas to Add to Sugar
Here is a list of some flavors you can easily add to infuse sugar:
- Citrus Zest – Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit.
- Dried Flowers – Rose Petals, Lavender, Hibiscus (will make pink sugar!)
- Vanilla Bean
- Spices – Cinnamon, Cayenne, Allspice, Cardamom – use any spice to add a kick to the sugar!
- Dried Herbs – Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano… the endless possibilities with dried herbs.
Check Out These Other Delicious Dessert Recipes
If you have tried on how to infuse sugar, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!