Floral Frosting Cupcakes
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 8 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- Whip the butter and shortening until they’re smooth.
- Add in the sugar, 2 cups at a time and continue to beat.
- Add in the milk in between alternating with the sugar.
- Beat on high until the frosting is fluffy. You want it to be thick, but not too thick where it won’t pipe smoothly.
- Divide the frosting up into 4 bowls to add food coloring to each of them. We used a tiny bit of gel food coloring to get the desired colors we wanted.
- For the hydrangeas, put the Wilton 1M tip into a piping bag. It’s a large star tip.
- Then add in 3 colors of frosting on each side of the bag. We did light pink, creamy orange and white. This will give it more depth and make the flower multi-colored.
- Hold the tip down to the cupcake and pipe large petals all around until the top of the cupcake is covered.
- Add the buttercream frosting to the bag fitted with the Wilton 100 ruffled tip.
- With the tip sideways (not face down), start in the center of the cupcake and pipe around… the frosting will be sticking up like a ribbon.
- Add the Wilton 102 tip to a a piping bag and then add any color frosting you want!
- For this, start on the outer edge and work your way in. The piping tool should be facing the cupcake and you can go up and down, while spinning the cupcake.
- Work your way into the center, overlapping the petals.