A recipe for The Best Egg Custard Pie! It’s easy to make and melts in your mouth!
For the love of PIE, this recipe is SO GOOD! We didn’t even realize how much we loved egg custard pie until we altered and made this recipe!
It’s simple to make, melts in your mouth, and tastes like butter!
Just like this classic cherry pie recipe that is utterly scrumptious and is crisp perfection!
It literally tastes like the most delicious buttercream, custard-flavored pie with spices, lightly sweetened, and it’s delicious served warm or cold.
This recipe is a must-try, as you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how yummy it is!
The top of the pie has a crispy, buttery layer, which is divine, and once you bite into the mouth-watering custard, you’ll be hooked! We served it with shredded coconut and sliced almonds.
We added maple syrup to this egg custard pie, which gives it even more flavor depth and makes it the perfect brunch dessert. This recipe also uses buttermilk, nutmeg, and cinnamon. So good!
For the crust, you can use a store-bought crust, or you can make your own. We love this easy recipe for a buttery, flaky crust. It always turns out nicely.
Or this 4 simple ingredients graham cracker crust recipe
What is Egg Custard Pie?
Table of Contents
Egg custard pie is made from eggs, buttermilk, sugar, a little flour, spices, vanilla, salt, and melted butter.
It’s an old-fashioned pie that has been around for ages and is still one of our absolute favorite pies. This a classic, no-fail recipe that will be loved by many!
How to Make Egg Custard Pie
- Pie Crust – rolled out and ready to use. you can make your own or use store-bought.
- Eggs – Creates structure and stability. Use large organic eggs when making this pie.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens the pie. This recipe is not too sweet, but if you want to use less sugar, you can.
- Buttermilk – adds a distinctive tang to pancakes and baked goods
- Flour – provides the structure in baked goods
- Unsalted Butter, Melted
- Vanilla Extract – Enhances flavors and adds subtle vanilla flavor. Use pure vanilla extract.
- Nutmeg – divided
- Cinnamon – divided
- Salt – gives a binding or strengthening effect on gluten and thereby adds strength to any flour.
- Ground Cloves
- Shredded Coconut
Pies can be intimidating to make, but this one is really easy. Whether you choose to use a store-bought crust or make your own, the filling in this pie is so simple!
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl, beat on high until combined, and then pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, and then let it cool to room temperature.
The best part about this pie is that you can serve it warm or cold! It tastes just as good cold the next day. It can be refrigerated for a few days and enjoyed it. Although, we highly doubt there will be any left after the first day!
The pie can look very plain, so to add some color and charm, we sifted powdered sugar mixed with cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon and then added shredded coconut and sliced almonds to one side.
Also, if you want to add a little color, you can use dried tea flowers. You can also alter the toppings depending on the season or holiday.
How To Store Egg Custard Pie Recipe
To store your egg custard pie, first, let it cool completely. Then, cover the pie with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, simply remove the pie from the fridge and enjoy!
More Pie Recipes You’ll Love!
If you try this recipe for Egg Custard Pie, let us know who you like it in the comments below!
This recipe is altered from Paula Dean
Egg Custard Pie
- 1 large Pie crust, rolled out and ready to use. You can make your own or use store bought.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon , divided
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the pie crust. You can make it, we love this recipe, or you can buy it.
- Press pie crust into a 9-inch round pie pan. Press up and around the pan to make a pretty pie crust. Crimp the edges together. Place in the refrigerator until pie filling is done.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, buttermilk, flour, melted butter, maple syrup, vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Mix until combined and pour into cold pie crust.
- Bake from 45-55 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent browning. Let it cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, add cloves, confections’ sugar and the rest of the nutmeg and cinnamon. Sift onto the pie.
- Add shredded coconut and sliced almonds to one side to decorate the pie.