The old fashioned cocktail is probably one of the most known drinks in our classic cocktail series so we’re excited to share how to make an old fashioned at home! This bourbon-based drink is classic because it dates back to the early 1800’s and is so widely known, you can order it almost anywhere you go. It’s also an incredibly simple cocktail recipe with just a few ingredients, so it’s an easy libation to make at home for guests before or after dinner. I can just picture people in the early 19th century, gathered around a fire, in a candlelit room on a cold night sipping on old fashioned’s. If you haven’t had one, try it! It’s a cozy, speakeasy cocktail and we’re excited to feature it in our classic cocktail series!
- 2 ounces good quality bourbon
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup, melt ½ cup sugar and ½ cup water on a stove top to make simple syrup
- 1 large orange rind
- 2 dashes bitters, we like Angostura Bitters
- 2 real maraschino cherries, we prefer these!
- Add simple syrup, bourbon and two dashes bitters in a mixing glass with ice and stir.
- Strain over a large ice cube in an old fashioned glass.
- Wipe the rim with the orange rind and add it to the drink.
- Garnish with two delicious cherries and enjoy!