This vodka lemonade recipe is one of our favorite easy mixed drinks. It’s perfect for a hot summer day, super simple to make, and has the perfect sweet and tart taste to it. It’s a favorite summer cocktail to sip on a hot summer afternoon.
If you love lemons as much as we do, then this easy cocktail is for you! We have two lemon trees growing in our backyard, so when lemon season hits we do everything we can to use all the lemons! Luckily it’s pretty easy for us as we love all dishes with a little lemon.
We make this homemade vodka lemonade recipe often as it’s always a crowd pleaser and guests love it.
Also check out our tequila lemonade cocktail too!
This is a refreshing vodka cocktail made with homemade or store-bought lemonade. It’s spiked with a little vodka and is one of the easiest cocktails you can make. When we make this drink with our homemade lemonade, it turns out so good and has a fresh flavor. Our lemonade recipe is one of the best!
Why We Love Lemons
Lemons are one of the most versatile fruits to use in culinary dishes and drinks. They add acidity and tartness to dishes. A species of a small evergreen tree in the flowering plant family Rutaceae.
Not only does the tree give you vibrant lemons, but also the most beautiful fragrance from the flowers emerges and makes the entire yard smell incredible.
Another benefit, lemons are low in calories, low in sugar and packed with vitamin C.
There are several types of lemons too. We grow Eureka lemons and Meyer lemons and they’re very different. Eureka lemons are like the classic lemons you see in the grocery store. Bright yellow with a tart flavor.
Meyer lemons are smaller and have an orangish-yellow hue to them. They are even juicier than Eureka lemons and a little sweeter too. We love to make Meyer lemonade as well. It works perfectly for this cocktail.
Lemons are available year-round since lemon trees bloom all year. They are actually really juicy and ripe in the winter too, which makes them perfect for winter cocktails, salads, and desserts.
What’s in a Vodka Lemonade?
This simple drink has just two ingredients:
Lemonade – Make homemade lemonade or use a natural store-bought lemonade. Newman’s Own is one of our favorites as it’s light in sugar. There are a lot of great options for good-quality lemonades that use all different sweeteners or have zero sugar.
Vodka – Since there are only two ingredients in this drink, use good quality vodka. It makes a difference in the overall flavor and smoothness of the drink.
How to Make the Best Vodka Lemonade
- Follow our homemade lemonade recipe. It’s simple to make and uses fresh lemon juice, sugar, and water.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes and pour in 1.5 ounce vodka.
- Top with lemonade and give it a quick stir.
- Add a cocktail garnish and enjoy!
What kind of lemonade is best for vodka lemonade?
We prefer homemade lemonade as you can control the flavor and sweetness. If you want to keep this recipe super easy, use store-bought lemonade. Here are a few of our favorite brands:
- Newman’s Own
- Minute Maid Premium
- Simply Lemonade
- Califia Farms Meyer Lemonade
Vodka Lemonade Recipe Variations
Here are a few ways you can switch up this recipe:
Pink vodka lemonade is made with pink lemonade.
Strawberry vodka lemonade is made with our homemade strawberry lemonade.
Add a little lemon-lime soda to the cocktail to give it some fizz.
Use honey or agave sweetener instead of simple syrup.
Use flavored vodka, like blueberry vodka for a fruity cocktail.
Blend it for a vodka lemonade slushy.
Add Elderflower liqueur for a floral flavor.
Tips for Making The Best Vodka Lemoande
Shake the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker for an icy cold, well blended cocktail.
Give the glass a sugared rim and a touch of sweetness.
Use quality vodka, see our recommendations below.
If you’re making homemade lemonade, only use fresh lemons for the best lemon flavor.
Make Ahead Vodka Lemonade
- This is a simple cocktail to make ahead of time for a party! Simply add the lemonade, vodka, and sliced lemon slices into a large pitcher.
- Store it in the refrigerator without ice for up to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, add in the ice.
Pitcher of Vodka Lemonade
This is the perfect easy cocktail for a gathering. It can be made ahead of time, it’s super simple but very refreshing. To make a pitcher simply add 3 cups lemonade and 6 ounces vodka into a pitcher. Fill with ice and add slices of lemons.
You can adjust the amounts of lemonade and vodka to your liking.
Good Quality Vodka Brands
- Grey Goose: Made from wheat and natural ingredients in France, this vodka uses naturally filtered water that runs through Grande Champagne limestone. It has a fresh, crisp taste that you can taste even in mixed drinks.
- Ketel One: Prepared in small batches since the 1600s, this vodka has fruity and a smooth taste. Ten generations of the Nolet family have tested every batch. It elevates dirty martinis and other mixed drinks with its consistent production process.
- Titos is also a good, affordable choice for Vodka.
- Reyka Vodka – Reyka is a premium vodka that is hand-crafted in Iceland. It’s very good quality for a great price. We recommend this vodka often. It was also awarded Gold at the International Spirits Challenge.
- Frankly Vodka – Organic vodka that uses no refined sugars, no gluten, no GMO’s, no synthetic pesticides, and no artificial colors.
- Ocean Vodka – Another great organic vodka, sustainably produced in Hawaii.
- King St. Vodka – A female lead vodka brand is made with alkaline water and gluten-free corn, it’s distilled seven times for purity.
How to Garnish Vodka Lemonade
Garnishes add charm and create a beautiful presentation. Here are some fun ways to garnish this lemon cocktail:
Twist of Lemon
Slice of Lemon or Lemon Wedge
Fresh Mint, Thyme or Rosemary
Festive Ice Cubes
We love adding festive and colorful ice cubes to our cocktails. Here are some fun ideas:
When to Serve Vodka Lemonade
This cocktail is great year-round as winter is one of the main harvesting seasons for lemons. It’s a wonderful cocktail for happy hour or for any of these speical occasions:
Frequently Asked Questions
Lemonade and vodka are a wonderful pairing. Vodka is light in flavor and a spirit that goes great with citrus. Lemons have a sweet and tart flavor and they are often used in cocktails to give acidity and a tart flavor. You will love this combination and how easy it is to make.
Lemonade is a versatile drink and it goes well with many spirits. Some of our favorites are vodka, tequila, and even a whiskey lemonade. You can make easy cocktails with a cup of lemonade and 1.5 ounces of alcohol.
For a balanced cocktail put 2 ounces vodka into 6 ounces lemonade. Give that a taste and then adjust the flavor to your preference. Add more vodka for a stronger cocktail or more lemonade.
How many ounces of vodka are in a vodka lemonade?
Our recipe uses 2 ounces vodka in 6 ounces lemonade. This is fully adjustable and can be altered to your liking.
Can you use store-bought lemonade?
Yes, you can use store-bought lemonade to make vodka lemonade. There are wonderful options for store-bought lemonade that use quality ingredients. You can even find Meyer lemonade!
More Lemonade Recipes
Looking for more of the best lemonade recipes? We have you covered! Check out all of our favorite drink recipes using lemonade:
Let us know if you make this refreshing cocktail by leaving a comment and review. We’d love to know your thoughts.
- 6 ounces lemonade, homemade or store-bought
- 2 ounces vodka, 1.5 ounces if you want a lighter drink
- 1 slice lemon , for garnishing
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Pour the vodka over the ice.
- Pour the lemonade over the ice.
- Give the drink a quick stir and garnish with a lemon slice.