This refreshing cucumber margarita is made with only 5 ingredients! The muddled cucumber slices give the margarita a delicious cucumber flavor and light fragrance that is perfect to enjoy any time!
Our cucumber margarita is a twist on a classic margarita. It’s a spa-like cocktail and perfect for a girl’s night, garden party, brunch, or just for a hot summer day. It’s a light and elegant cocktail that everyone will love.
Why you’ll love this cocktail:
- The cucumber adds a light, crisp flavor to the cocktail that pairs beautifully with tequila and lime juice.
- It’s an easy and quick cocktail to make with only 5 ingredients.
- Just like our cucumber gimlet, this recipe has a refreshing cucumber flavor that is perfect for any occasion.
How to Make This Cucumber Margarita Recipe
We’ll cover everything you need to know to make this margarita, answer questions and share our expert tips.
If you prefer to jump to the recipe, scroll to the bottom of this post where you’ll find the recipe card.
Here are a few tools you’ll need to make a margarita:
This cocktail is made with fresh ingredients you can find at your local grocery store.
Cucumbers – Use cucumbers that are ripe and fragrant. Slice them small enough so that when muddled they let out fresh cucumber juice. You can use an English cucumber to make this drink too.
Tequila – You can use any tequila you like, such as silver tequila, reposado or anejo.
Lime Juice – Fresh lime juice is always when making cocktails.
Simple Syrup – This helps to sweeten the cocktail and balance out the tartness from the lime juice. You can easily make your own simple syrup, just follow our simple syrup guide.
Grand Marnier – This adds a nice hint of orange flavor which helps to balance out the cucumber and tequila. You can use any orange liqueur for this drink.
How to Make a Salted Rim
To give cucumber margaritas a nice salty rim, pour coarse kosher salt, or sea salt onto a small plate. Rub the rim of your glass with a lime wedge and dip the rim into the sugar and salt mixture.
You can add a little chili powder or Tajín in with the salt for a spicy flavor.
Tips for Making the Best Margarita
- Make sure the cucumbers are ripe and fragrant. Avoid cucumbers that have soft spots or mushy spots.
- Use fresh lime juice for the best flavor.
- Salt the rim of your glass to give it a nice salty contrast that pairs perfectly with cucumber margaritas.
- Don’t forget to shake for 20 to 30 seconds. Shaking the margarita helps to mix all of the ingredients together and create a smooth cocktail.
- If you don’t have a cocktail strainer, use a fine mesh strainer.
- Garnish with a lime wedge, cucumber slice, fresh mint or a little lime zest.
Cucumber Margarita Variations
You can get creative with cucumber margaritas and use different ingredients to make your own variation. Here are some ideas:
Add jalapeno slices when muddling the cucumbers for a spicy cucumber margarita.
Add muddled mint leaves to your cucumber margarita for a hint of freshness.
Use cucumber-infused tequila to give the cucumber margarita an extra cucumber kick.
Mix in a splash of pineapple juice or grapefruit juice for a tropical twist.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s not considered a margarita if you don’t use tequila. However, if you don’t want to use tequila in this drink, you can substitute it with vodka or gin.
Yes, cucumber margaritas can be made ahead of time. Just store the pre-made cucumber margaritas in a sealed container in your refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, shake the cocktail shaker with ice and fill the glasses with the chilled cucumber margaritas.
Both triple sec and Cointreau are liqueurs made with orange flavors that are commonly used in margaritas. Cointreau gives the cocktail a more balanced orange flavor, but triple sec is less expensive. Use whichever one you prefer!
A skinny margarita is made with less sugar and fewer calories than a traditional margarita. Instead of simple syrup, you can use a dash of agave to sweeten the drink. Instead of Cointreau use fresh orange juice to give it an orange flavor.
When to Serve a Cucumber Margarita
No matter what the occasion, cucumber margaritas are sure to be a hit. Here are some occasions you can serve this drink:
After-dinner drink or a summer refresher.
They are perfect for birthday parties or gatherings, BBQs, and more.
Happy hour, pool parties, or garden parties.
More Margarita Recipes
- Honeydew Margarita
- Cranberry Margarita
- Sparkling Margarita
- Hibiscus Margarita
- Easy Coconut Margarita
Let us know what you think!
Let us know if you make this refreshing cocktail by leaving a review and comment below.
- 5 slices cucumber
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the cucumbers and lime juice.
- Muddle until the cucumbers break down into small pieces with a lot of juice.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients with ice and shake for 30 seconds.
- Rim a glass with salt and fill it with ice.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass. You may need to shake it to get all of the juice out.
- Garnish with a lime wedge, mint, and cucumber slice.