You’ll never want a regular margarita again after tasting this skinny margarita! Made with fresh ingredients, this cocktail is low calorie and sugar, but still tastes amazing! Perfect for sipping on a hot day!
I grew up in California, Mexican food and margaritas are pretty much a staple in our diet and I wouldn’t have it any other way! I’ve enjoyed many margaritas in the past 10 years and it’s one of my preferred cocktails. When done right, they’re always fresh and have the perfect balance of sweet, sour and salty. I usually always order or make a skinny margarita as I like it better less sweet!
How do you Make a Skinny Margarita?
The key is using fresh ingredients. Use fresh lime and orange juice, good quality tequila and a natural or organic nectar.
- Measure the ingredients and add them into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake for 30 seconds so the water can dilute the cocktail. This is an important step when making any shaken cocktail.
- If you’re wanting a salted rim, dip the glass in small plate full of water and then a small plate with salt.
- Add in the ice cubes. Crushed ice or a large cube works well too.
- Strain the cocktail over the ice and add a lime wedge to garnish.
Quick Tip – Always use fresh squeezed citrus! It’s a must when making a delicious margarita.
What is the difference between a skinny margarita and a regular margarita?
There are a lot of margarita recipes that use sugary syrups, mixers and liqueurs with sugar. A skinny margarita uses fresh lime and orange juice and a nectar like agave or Truvia. Truvia Nectar is great and even lower in sugar as it’s made with a little honey and Stevia leaf extract.
Best Tequila for a Skinny Margarita
Here are a few of our favorite tequilas for a margarita. You can buy most of these at Target or any beverage store and at most grocery stores. They’re all affordable and good quality.
Casamigos Blanco Tequila – Crisp with hints of vanilla. It’s a very good tequila to sip or use in a margarita.
Espolòn Reposada Tequila Blanco or Gold
El Destilador Silver Tequila – Very affordable and great for margaritas.
How do you rim a glass with salt?
The best way to rim a glass and have the salt stay on the rim is using water. Place water in a shallow plate and salt in a separate shallow plate. Dip the rim of the glass in the water and then in the salt. We find that this works much better than using a lime or lemon wedge or citrus juice.
What is a skinny margarita drink?
A skinny margarita is a margarita with less sugar, carbs and calories! They’re refreshing and one of our favorite cocktails.
How many carbs are in a skinny margarita?
This really depends on what type of sweetener you use for the recipe. Citrus has very little carbs and since the recipe only uses a small amount of citrus very little carbs come from the fruit.
- Agave nectar has 5 carbs in a teaspoon and Truvia Nectar has 8 carbs in 3 teaspoons.
- Tequila does not have carbs.
- 1 whole lime has about 5 carbs and 1 whole orange has 8 carbs.
Skinny Margarita Variations
Adding a little twist on a classic cocktail is one of our favorite things to do! Here are some fun ideas for switching it up!
- Muddle fruit like blackberries, strawberries, kiwi, mango, pineapple, etc, in the cocktail shaker before you add in the ice and other ingredients. Shake it all together to add a new fruit flavor!
- Add some spice! Cut a small piece of jalapeño and muddle in the cocktail shaker before adding the other ingredients. Caution – use just a little pepper!
- Use blood orange if it’s in season for a blood orange skinny margarita! The color will be a vibrant pink!
- A little chili mixed with the salt on the rim always adds an extra kick! I love a chili, salt rimmed glass!
- Add some ginger! Ginger is good for digestion and you an muddle a little in the bottom!
- Change the color to purple by using dried butterfly pea flowers. You can see our natural colored ice cubes here.
- Add a little topping of ginger or lemon kombucha! It gives the margarita a little fizz and some probiotics!
If you like margaritas try these recipes!
A Charming Way to Serve A Mini Margarita – Sugar and Charm
Hibiscus Margarita – Sugar and Charm
Fruity Frozen Margaritas – Sugar and Charm
Honeydew Margarita – Sugar and Charm
Blackberry Margarita Punch – Sugar and Charm
Yellow Grapefruit Margarita – Sugar and Charm
Salt Air Margarita – Sugar and Charm
Items you need to make a margarita:
- Citrus Squeezer
- Cocktail Shaker
- Margarita Salt or Sea Salt
- Margarita Glasses
Let us know if you make this recipe by leaving a review below! We love to hear what you think! Happy margarita drinking! Cheers!
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon agave syrup
- Add all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake hard for 30 seconds. This is an important part as the ice helps to dilute the cocktail giving it a balanced taste.
- Strain over a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!