The most refreshing yellow grapefruit margarita recipe. This drink is the perfect summer cocktail! It’s light and full of citrus flavors. If you can’t find the yellow grapefruit, try pink grapefruit will work too! Both will work wonderfully in this recipe.
The other day, my friend brought me a bag full of yellow grapefruit. Did you know grapefruit come in a range of colors from yellow, white to pink? Yellow grapefruits are sweet and juicy and perfect for margaritas!
I’m usually a pink grapefruit kind of gal, but when I tasted these, I couldn’t believe how refreshing and delicious they are. When life gives you yellow grapefruit… make a yellow grapefruit margarita, right?!
A Breif History on the Margarita
She mixed Cointreau and tequila with a bit of lime and salt around the edge of the glass.
How to Make this Grapefruit Margarita Recipe
This recipe is a twist on the classic margarita. It has the perfect grapefruit, citrus flavor and feels like spring in a glass.
- Grapefruit Juice – Pink or yellow grapefruit will work for this recipe.
- Sugar – Instead of simple syrup we add the sugar straight into the cocktail shaker. Since grapefruit is already sweet, this recipe doesn’t need too much extra sweetener.
- Lime Juice – Fresh squeezed lime jucie.
- Tequila – Blanco or reposado
Add all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 20 seconds.
When to Serve a Grapefruit Margarita
Best Tequila for a Margarita
Here are a few of our favorite tequilas. You can purchase these at any beverage store and at most grocery stores. Similarly, they’re all affordable and good quality.
Casamigos Blanco Tequila – Crisp with hints of vanilla. It’s a very good tequila to sip too.
Espolòn Reposada Tequila Blanco or Gold
El Destilador Silver Tequila – Very affordable
Tips for Making a Grapefruit Margarita
- Add more or less tequila, depending on how strong you like it.
- If you want a pink cocktail, use ruby grapefruit to make this recipe.
- Make sure to shake with ice to dilute the ingredients.
- Multiply this recipe by the number of guests you have to make a batch cocktail.
- Add a slice of jalapeño for a grapefruit jalapeño margarita.
More Grapefruit Cocktails
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! There are several cocktails that mix grapefruit and alcohol like a classic Paloma and a grapefruit margarita. Grapefruit is a citrus juice that is sweet and tart. It’s the perfect mixer for spirits.
Grapefruit pairs nicely with many spices such as jalapeno and ginger for heat and ground spices like cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon. Add any of these spices to a cocktail recipe for an extra kick.
More Magarita Recipes
In addition to our yellow grapefruit margaritas, we also have some other incredible recipes to try!
If you make this yellow grapefruit margarita recipe, let us know by leaving a comment. Furthermore, if you can leave a review we would love that too!
YELLOW GRAPEFRUIT MARGARITA RECIPE
- 1 cup grapefruit juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2.5 ounces tequila, blanco or reposado
- Add all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 20 seconds.
- Salt the rim of your glasses, then strain the cocktail over ice.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit and enjoy that yummy goodness!