This Honeydew Margarita is pure perfection! The recipe is light and refreshing and has the perfect mix of honeydew, lime and, of course, tequila!!
At 60%, Margarita is the most popular drink in the U.S. But not everyone understands the rich history behind the margarita.
Not everyone knows the variety of ways to make one or what alcohol to use. There’s a lot to know about this classic cocktail that can make you appreciate this delicious drink.
Brief History of the Margarita
Margarita history starts with Margaret Sames. In 1948, she invited some guests over for a cocktail party and decided to experiment with some alcohol. She mixed Cointreau and tequila with a bit of lime and salt around the edge of the glass.
You can find ten marvelous Margarita recipes on our website here.
How to Make a Honeydew Margarita
Freshly juiced honeydew and I’ve been loving this juicer lately because it’s so small and easy to clean. I use it to make fresh juice a few times a week. We use the juice to make honeydew lemonade as well as our honeydew freeze.
You will need a juicer, cocktail jigger, cocktail shaker to make this recipe.
How to Juice Honeydew
Juicing honeydew is extremely easy, here’s how:
Cut the rind off and then just push it through a juicer.
A half of a honeydew makes more than enough for about 12 margaritas. Use the other half to garnish the drink. This is also a perfect batch cocktail too.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this super refreshing margarita.
- Freshly Juiced Honeydew – It’s sweet and fruity! It’s really one of the most delicious juices.
- Tequila – Use a gold or Blanco tequila for this recipe.
- Lime juice – Always fresh squeezed.
- Simple Syrup – See our guide to making simple syrup.
- Grand Marnier – This is an orange liqueur. You can use any brand.
Best Tequila for a Margarita
Here are a few of our favorite tequilas. You can buy most of these at Target or any beverage store and at most grocery stores. They’re all affordable and good quality.
Casamigos Blanco Tequila – Crisp with hints of vanilla. It’s a very good tequila to sip too.
Espolòn Reposada Tequila Blanco or Gold
El Destilador Silver Tequila – Very affordable
How do you rim a glass with salt?
The best way to rim a glass and have the salt stay on the rim is using water. Place water in a shallow plate and salt in a separate shallow plate.
Dip the rim of the glass in the water and then in the salt. We find that this works much better than using a lime or lemon wedge or citrus juice.
How Much Alcohol is in a Honeydew Margarita?
Typically, there are one to two ounces of Tequila in a Margarita. You can add more or less depending on how you like the taste of Tequila.
In addition to Tequila, you also add one ounce of orange liqueur, but this is optional depending on the recipe you’re making.
People often confuse Triple Sec as Tequila, when it is actually orange-flavored liqueur.
You can use any 8-ounce low ball glass. You can also use a traditional Welled Margarita Glass. It offers a wide rim for you to put salt or sugar on it. It’s an elegant design that’s perfect for this drink!
More Delicious Margarita Recipes!
Let us know if you make this honeydew margarita! Leave a comment and review below!
HONEYDEW MARGARITA RECIPE
- 2 ounces honeydew juice, fresh juiced
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier
- Using a juicer (this one is my fave!) juice ½ of a honeydew.
- Make a simple syrup: 1 cup cane sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil until sugar has dissolved. Then let it cool.
- In a cocktail shaker add all of the ingredients with ice and shake vigorously for 20 seconds or more.
- For a little chili spice add Tajin on the side of the glass or the rim.
- Stain the margarita in the glass over cubed ice.
- Garnish and enjoy!